Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #1

moved up today

It wasn't a high priority for me to move up, but I traded in my blue 2003 gz250 for a a 2008 V Star 650 custom today (black is my new favorite color). The new bike had low miles and is spotless. Drove home the 20 miles from the dealer and of course it's more power, but not overwhelmingly so. Noticed more vibration than I anticipated and not so sure about a shaft drive, but I had it narrowed down to this bike, the Vulcan 500 or the Suzuki s50. I was going to move up sooner or later, and there are some great deals out there with dealers looking to move inventory.

It's funny, but I"m feeling some mixed emotions (just as I've heard a couple others on this list indicate). I'm excited about the new bike, but sad to to see the gz go. It's a great bike if you accept it for what it was meant to be.

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: moved up today

Congrats on the new bike. Shaft drives are usually very smooth. Tire issue perhaps?

Post photos when you get a chance.

:rawk:
Old 07-10-2009, 02:17 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Keith, congrats on your new ride. The 650 is a pretty solid performer for a smaller V-twin. The shaft is a real bonus too. Yamaha designed the bike to work well at all legal speeds and still have ample power for passing and loads when needed. I am sure the bike will serve you well. Now get out and ride it.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
GZ250

Congratulations and enjoy the more power, I also have an eye for V-Star 650. I like the design (style). Unfortunatley they do not have test drive possibilities for bikes. I just want to be sure how much power 650cc has (max speed we can comfortably go and if there are two on the bike). for GZ250 its 55mph (for single).
Old 07-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #5
bonehead

I rode my buddies V-star on a ride and it will go faster than you will want to. I had bursts to 80 mph and it still had some more in it.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
Unfortunatley they do not have test drive possibilities for bikes.

I just want to be sure how much power 650cc has (max speed we can comfortably go and if there are two on the bike). for GZ250 its 55mph (for single).
For the "casual" shopper I'm sure there aren't test drives.

For those who come in on a bike, with the proper license and gear and indicate that they are really serioius about actually BUYING something.....maybe from another dealer.....you might be surprised how quickly a test ride DOES become available. Might.

How do you define "comfortably" ??

If you define it by engine speed, then you will be hard pressed to find ANYTHING that makes you "comfortable" above 60 mph or so. The V-star will be turning just as fast, or faster, than the GZ at a given speed; that's one way they get to advertise more HP.

I found the GZ to be quite capable and comfortable up to about 65 mph.....as I think most riders do. What makes you UNcomfortable above 55 ??

Unless you get a Concours or Road King or Goldwing, they are all gonna be kind of "buzzy" at speed. That's just kind of how riding a bike works.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM   #7

Here's a couple of quick pictures of my new V Star Custom. Went 75 on the freeway yesterday and had plenty of power to spare (going 75 on the freeway without a windshield, I thought I might get blown off the bike).

I'll post better photos when I add the after market windshield and passenger backrest I ordered. I know it's early, but really happy so far.

Keith

Old 07-14-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

FWIW, my Yamaha product (belt drive) has no noticeable vibration at speed or at idle and at 75-80 is very smooth (like a purring kitty.) Much more comfortable at high speed than the GZ, and way more torque at low speed. The big bike handles as well as the GZ or better at all speeds except under 3mph. (It's a beast when you are not moving and a trial if you've got to back up [esp. uphill.]) (Mine has a large factory windshield on it.) I have yet to take it more than a few miles an hour over 80 (okay, maybe I did 90 once for a few seconds) but at 75 I'm just north of 3K and it redlines at around 6500.

The other day I was in the Suburban (hauling some sound gear) and I pulled up next to a Harley. It was a smaller bike than mine but I was surprised at how much the windshield, the fairing and the saddlebags were jumping all over the place when the guy wasn't even moving. I'm not sure how much of that you feel in seat, but it looked very uncomfortable. Perhaps he was in need of a tuneup?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Perhaps he was in need of a tuneup?
Harley riders take their machines in for a "tune up" when they STOP shaking and making noise.
If a Hog is smooth and quiet there HAS to be something wrong !! :roll:
Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Perhaps he was in need of a tuneup?
Harley riders take their machines in for a "tune up" when they STOP shaking and making noise.
If a Hog is smooth and quiet there HAS to be something wrong !! :roll:

Oh Oh, Sarris won't like that. Actually the real paint shaker H-Ds have probably been modified extensively. I have seen H-Ds that idle very smooth and are nice and quiet. They are a real treat compared to the Look at ME macho riders who are all so unique they appear to be cloned.