Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 06-03-2010, 07:30 PM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: gz250 mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_GA
then switched to Reserve and only got about 1 mile before it started sputtering
Others have commented on the proper position of the "switch" (some not so nicely) but you have not. I assume that means that you WERE doing it right ????

We've had several folks come here who were not.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #32
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior

Wish I'd said that.
"You will, my dear Oscar, you will!" Attributed to a friend of Oscar Wilde :roll:
Old 06-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #33
Dana_GA

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dana_GA":2nh7f9ri
then switched to Reserve and only got about 1 mile before it started sputtering
Others have commented on the proper position of the "switch" (some not so nicely) but you have not. I assume that means that you WERE doing it right ????

We've had several folks come here who were not. [/quote:2nh7f9ri]

I'm assuming that if I DIDN'T have it in the proper direction, that I wouldn't have got 275 out of the Reserve (opposite direction) :tongue:
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Old 06-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #34
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
ER is wrong on this one (again).
Admitted that my memory failed me on this one......but the point was made anyway.
I am sorry that I am not perfect; never claimed that I was.

AND you and I have been pretty cool lately; the (again) was totally unnecessary and served no useful purpose except to inflame the discussion.

Since I saw no smiley, I then must assume that you are just being a PRICK again. Do you REALLY want to do this again ?????? :skull:

I sure don't.
Slow down - relax a little.
There gets to be something lost in the written word compared to voice communication. And I left out the friggin smiley - whooo - That makes me a PRICK? WTF is wrong with you? There was no intent to "inflame" any discussion, what I meant (and what I said) was that you were wrong about this for the second time - we had this discussion once before on here about a year or so ago, you got it backwards then as you did now. That's AGAIN. OK? Nothing wrong with what I said, something wrong with your perception of reading it. Sorry you misinterpreted my intent and you chose to react this way. Peace to you anyway - go out for a ride. :roll: :cool: :cool: Enough?
Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana_GA
I'm assuming that if I DIDN'T have it in the proper direction, that I wouldn't have got 275 out of the Reserve (opposite direction) :tongue:
No, wrong assumption.

The main and reserve are NOT two different tanks or different sections of the tank. The ON position draws fuel through a pipe that sticks up from the bottom an inch or two.......so that when the fuel draws down to the top of that pipe, and starts sputtering, there is still some fuel left in the bottom of the tank. Switching to REServe bypassed that extra pipe and draws gas directly from the bottom of the tank and uses the remaining couple of inches.

SO......if you leave it in REServe, that's exactly what will happen: you will use up ALL the gas in the tank and when you then run out, you are completely OUT.

Getting that much mileage without moving the switch means either that the "ON" tube is loose OR that you had it on REServe all the time.

MANY riders mis-interpret what the correct position IS......and some don't remember it after they know (me) !! The tiny arrow points to the active position.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #36
Easy Rider

Quote:
....you were wrong about this for the second time - we had this discussion once before on here about a year or so ago, you got it backwards then as you did now.
Well, I certainly don't remember THAT. Reference ??

Sorry if I over-reacted. It is somewhat of a conditioned response.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #37
Easy Rider

Quote:
what I meant (and what I said) was that you were wrong about this for the second time - we had this discussion once before on here about a year or so ago, you got it backwards then as you did now.
Help me out here.

I went back and looked; searched for "petcock" and "Easy Rider" (yes, you can do that with ONE search by filling in both boxes) and did not see any posts where I got it wrong before.

Am I overlooking something ??
Old 06-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #38
Dana_GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
244 miles on that 2.6 gal would be 93.8 mpg. Nobody gets that except coasting downhill in neutral.
Likely that he is already on reserve and doesn't realize it.

It has been a LONG time since we mentioned how the petcock lever is mis-leading.
I suspect that when he is out, there will be no recovery.

There is a tiny arrow on the lever that points to the active position; it is NOT the long part of the lever itself; just the opposite.
I finally remembered to look at my petcock (I don't know why I laugh everytime I type or say that word) and I WAS riding with it in the RESERVE position. Soooo, I switched it to the proper position, my question now is...I've got 180 miles on this tank of gas, I want to run it dry again to see if I get 75 MPG like the last tank...sooo, does the reserve fill back up when I switched to RUN? or is my Reserve tank now empty?? Hope that made sense?? I just don't want to get stranded on empty.
I paid $800 cash for it - only had 1,490 miles
2009 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #39
bonehead

No separate tank. Run lets you use the 2.6 gals to start, once you turn it to res. you are running on the remaining .8 gals of gas that is in your tank. If you run out on res you are OUT of gas. Riding on run,then runing out of gas and then switching to res lets you know you need gas real soon.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #40
blaine

Reserve is just the bottom of the tank,not a separate tank.At 180 miles you should soon run out and need to switch to Res.Res will give you plenty to get to gas station