Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #1
PimpS

At the mechanics shop

I am one of those guys, who doesn't feel good to play with the screws on machines. When it is about to make a table by a simple instructions, or to mend some brakes on a regular bike - no problem. That's why i give my regular and non regular service of the bike to a pro, to do his job, and i pay for it.

So, to make my story shorter: i got spokes from 5_th bike, got a new sprockets and DID chain... My regular mechanic was in deep bussines and he couldn't take time for me, that's why I went to this other guy.
Everything cool, but next time i'll write down on a piece of paper what to do, what is advised to do, cause the guy lost my spoke, even forgot to change it. He did set my valves and the bike runs a bit different, also i feel he is running easier. New chain, new sprockets... it's cool...

Today i hope he'll do the job right.

I got the feeling that some mechanics are not taking us seriously, considering the bike, like GZ, we ride... :?

I don't know, it's time to develop mechanical skills, buy some tools and start doing as much as I can/dare

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: At the mechanics shop

For most of your everyday maintenance needs, we have tons of how-to's here on the site, with pictures and explanations from others about their experiences trying out some pretty advanced maintenance items on their own for the first time. Don't be scared to dive into something. Doing something knew and taking a shot at something that you think you otherwise couldn't do is how even the most seasoned mechanic became a pro. It's also how we learn to do things as children that we take for granted as adults. Learning is always an awesome experience, even if it involves a couple of bloody knuckles, a curse word or two and maybe 16 hours to complete a 3 hour job.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
PimpS

LOL, yes Jonathan, i'm getting there. Otherwise, i got my gz back and went for a ride, at 36 degrees celsius in full equipment... Phew it was hot. I'm not sure if the setting of valves made a bike going better (that is stronger and faster), I couldn't get higher than 105 km/h, usually i got it to 115 km/h. Machine is in my perspection getting more thumps, if before that went thump...thump...thump..., now it goes thumpthumpthump... i haven't mess with idle speed...
Don't know. Otherwise is going well, the good achievment today was, that i felt really secure on the bike and even scratched the floor with peg going into curve, and it didn't scare me

Friend told me, man you're getting better and better and you are starting to feel the need for more and bigger...

PimpSerS is a OK for me!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

it really depends on how far out of whack your valves were as to whether or not you should read or experience different sounds coming from the engine. If they were close, then you shouldn't notice anything different at all. If they were really too loose or too tight, then you should have noticed some issues getting the bike started, that have now vanished. Are you sure it's not just in your head?

Is it an actual thumping that you hear, out of the exhaust, or are you hearing knocking in the engine? It could be that those guys set it wrong. It has happened before in the wide world of bikes.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
PimpS

ay be you are right about my perception, but to make it sure, i'll drive to my mechanic and he should know better... Thanks Jonathan, you and many others here are voice of wisdom!

Old 06-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #6
PimpS

Got my santa barbara today: after work i decided to visit my friend at the river, about 1 hour beautiful ride. Came home, pack things up and off i go. After 15 km my GZ went dead. Before that, i was overtaking 2 cars and in between gz gave me a sudden push (like i would shift down) and back to normal, full throttle. After 2 km in the crossroad, it just went dead, i mean totally dead, no light in neutral, nada...
After a while the neutral light start to blink when the key was turned on.
I called the mechanic from yesterday and he told me what to try (check battery, fuse...) came to me in half an hour, we started the bike with the plug and went to his shop. In the shop he discovered that electric regulator or something went down and we ordered new one... 190 €... Geeez, i didn't complicate and i ordered it, i get it in 5-10 days... I'm sad, but happy that it went dead now, not in 3 weeks time when i'm off to the sea side (276 km in one way)... I hope that from now on everything will be just about maintenance
Old 06-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpS
we started the bike with the plug
Sorry, don't understand. Can you explain what you mean? Perhaps you're using the wrong word.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
PimpS

Battery connected to the car... My battery was dead, and after we started with the car i had my lights turned off, actually i was driving with park lights, but later i turned them off too. When in sorrow, my english gets worse

Rectifier is the thingy that went down, checking the internet i see that these things are much cheaper in states... For 50%, i'm getting rectifier from suzuki dealer, as mechanic stated... Ehhh, my crash bar is put on hold for a while...
Old 06-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

So after you started the bike using jumper cables, the bike kept running? Were you able to charge the battery while it was off the bike?
Did it die just while you were cruising down the road, or did it refuse to start after you had parked it and left it to sit? (From your story, it sounds like you were riding along, come to stop or something, and the bike quit. But if it was able to restart and run after being boosted with cables, then I would suspect something other than the rectifier. If it kept running, even with a shit battery, you know the stator and rectifier are fine, right? (Someone correct me if I'm wrong, cause I hate electrics.) Certainly it didn't keep running even after being jumped....

I'm also surprised that you can control when your headlights are on or off. We are forced to have them turned on in the states, all the time.
Or do you mean that they wouldn't come on?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:42 AM   #10
PimpS

Well, as i said before went dead the machine went two times strange way in a 1 km distance (having a full throttle and for a moment it made a twitch, like i would let down the throttle and machine would make a brake, but really in a moment, it was strong as it moved me towards the handle bar), later (after 1 km) i came to a crossroad, i was braking but during that the bike went dead. I pulled over, i got it to neutral, tried to make it start - nothing, because of the sun i couldn't really see if the light on neutral is on. I put the bike in the shade, tried to make it start, but the light on neutral hasn't been lit and the bike didn't say nothing. I called mechanic, which told me to check battery, fuses... After that (10 minutes) i tried again, the neutral light was blinking and around fuses there was a squikky sound when trying to start the bike (battery down i guess). Changed the fuses, even though they were both good - i prosume i have a spare fuse beside the fuse. When mechanic came, we made all the inspection from above again and he said we will try to make it start with cables. The bike came alive insantly and he said that whether the battery is crap or regulator-rectifier went down, since the lights i had them on during the ride have used all the juice in the battery, since rectifier wasn't making his job to provide juice to battery. I was riding without lights, to spare the juice. There was no cops, thanks god, or bad traffic.
At the shop he tested the battery with a tester while the bike was running, and the battery was fine. I turned of the bike and i was able to start it with no problem. He said that it must be rectifier. He told me to go home, take out the battery and bring it to him to fill it up and wait till the rectifier comes...

I hate bad electrics too, today some folks i was talking to them, told me that on smaller engines (till 500ccm), electrics can be PITA, so I should get use to it... F...!

Thank you for responses, past and future!

ps: is it possible that somewhere the ground electrics has a bad contact or something?