Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #1
Project400

2006 Suzuki GZ250

I just bought my bike from a dealer a few weeks ago. It's a 2006 and it had 17,000 miles on it. I had it out today for a cold ride – maybe a half hour or so – I stopped at a beach for a minute or two to warm my hands and on the way back, the bike wouldn't go over 20 mph. It felt as though first gear wasn't very powerful and needless to say, the other gears weren't an option. Might this be a gummed up carburetor? Something to do with a cold weather? I know the fuel was treated when the dealer delivered the bike. Could this be a clutch issue? If anyone has any information it would be most appreciated! Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-12-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Don't think you have a clutch issue. I would check the fuel/carb situation. You say the dealer treated the fuel before delivery but how old was the fuel he treated. I would start with draining the tank and put fresh fuel in along with 3.5 oz. of Seafoam. This will help clean out the system. If the bike was sitting for a while at the dealership, there could be some varnish buildup in the tank, fuel line, and possibly the carb. If it was running good when you started your trip, something could have broken loose and clogged up the screen in the fuel petcock. Just some basic things to check.