Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Skunkhome

Re: Look out for algae!

The low water bridges that I know of date back to the model T ford. Even in the 60's they were still being used on some of the tertiary roads in the Ozarks and Arkansas mountains. If the creek was up you just didn't cross just as it had always been. Back then people just took that as a part of traveling. The only ones I know still in existence today are on private roads. I can't imagine someone building a creek crossing (ford) in that manner today but there are many communities out there with private access roads that do not have to and often do not meet what we consider standard on public roads. Having been involved in the freight industry I know that there are many privately maintained roads and causeways that do not meet the standard 13'6" overhead clearance we all are accustomed to in the states. If you drive on these roads and hit an overhead obstruction you are the one at fault.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
The footpegs are spring loaded and designed to angle up when hitting the ground at any reasonable speed, so you got lucky by it just falling over and not sliding. The engine guard protects the bike (and your legs) a lot better because it's not supposed to fold up. Think about getting one if you decide to keep the bike longterm. When I started riding, I think it was the first thing I added to my GZ.
The footpeg did fold up, it was that very solid bracket that the footpeg attaches to that I am refering to. It sticks out further than sides of the engine covers, mufflers, etc. It worked like a little sidestand to keep the bike from laying on the mufflers and side covers. The only other thing that hit was the mirror, which I had to readjust. But it might have been my hand that hit the mirror since I see no way that the mirror could have hit the ground without the grip endcap hitting, which was untouched. This is on my Shadow, I don't know if this design applies to other bikes.

This was a very slow speed drop, less than 10 mph I would guess; higher speed would defeat the bracket acting as a sidestand I'm sure.

LATER: I went to take another look at the brackets. If the bike had rolled over even more, past the bracket, the footpeg would have come into play as a last resort to keep her from laying completely down. When folded up, the footpegs only go to about a 45 degree angle, so they stick further out to the sides above the brackets. The footpeg may have come into play in my situation, I just don't know. The designers/engineers did their homework on this bike IMO.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:17 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Having a solid wide crash bar will make the bike easier to pick up if it rolls right over on the handlebar. Don't ask me how I know.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
greatmaul

wow, that just sounds like a horrible road design. I guess it's a case of fashion before form. I mean, I've been on algae covered rocks before (on foot) and they really are slicker than spit on glass. I can't imagine they'd want their fancy cars to get all splashed up.

er... sorry for the rant. any chance of getting a pic? I'd like to see how the fancy class live.

Oh, and p.s. sorry that happened to you! Aches and pains and falls are never fun. Maybe you should sue them. I mean, really, seriously.