Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-15-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Pace cars

Seems there is new movement hereabouts that is sure to create havoc. Put a Pace Car sticker on the trunk lid and never drive over the speed limit. Set the pace for any and all vehicles. That sounds great.............but is just about the stupidest thing you can do. As we all know traffic will set it's own pace on highways and during rush hour commutes. The Leo's will normally turn a blind eye to this if everyone is 10 over the limit. Plain and simple, it works and people get about their business. They build this extra 10 over into their schedule and life is good. Now............get out that pace car and watch for road rage, dangerous passing and a few bullets in the air.
Sure, never speeding or trying to make time is for an old retired guy like me but not the rest of the world. So do what I do. Go the limit or less if desireable when there is no traffic. Once the traffic shows up I will ride or drive the speed of the rest of the world. We don't live in a perfect world and the originator of the Pace Care sticker should get a life or move to a bomb shelter never to return. That's how I see it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #2
JWR

Re: Pace cars

I don't want to pass everyone, just the car in front of me. :cool:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 05-15-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
greatmaul

http://www.sctrafficsafety.org/pace.html

I see what you mean. At first it didn't sound that bad, but as soon as I saw that sticker I was instantly pissed. If I was driving, I'd be trying to run that pace car off the road. (well, not actually.)

Pace car sounds more like "rolling road block" to me, and that detail is best left to police officers, not "community enforcers."

Old 05-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
mrlmd1

I'd rather have an Indy Pace Car.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
dentheman

The police tried this years ago in Texas by having police cars driving abreast at the speed limit so traffic piled up behind them. This was stopped after a short time due to complaints.

I don't think it will catch on except for some wannabe cops (and that means trouble).

Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
alantf

They'll probably be manned by the tree hugging, save the HIV positive gay whale, I'm an eco warrior, speed kills, brigade. They're the ones that seem to want everyone to conform to their idiotic mores.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

I forgot to mention the end of a long weekend when everyone is tired and trying to get home. Yup, being tired and cranky will lead to more than the usual traffic pace that works very well. I have noticed that the local LEOs will send out there own pace car to maintain the "usual traffic pace" but don't you dare try to pass that pace car. They give us a break to ensure smooth traffic flow and drivers/riders should be happy with that.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
greatmaul

Every time I see a LEO around here (calif,) it's going about 20mph over the speed limit and blows past me. I think they have to go that fast to catch up to the speeders.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmaul
Every time I see a LEO around here (calif,) it's going about 20mph over the speed limit and blows past me. I think they have to go that fast to catch up to the speeders.
A long time friend of mine was a LEO. He used to speed sometimes just to keep in practice for catching the bad guys. Some folks don't realize that the fast patrol car is not just going for donuts but is an actual on the job driving skill that must be practiced to be to be effective and reasonably safe. Yeah it is a Catch 22 kind of thing.