Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
zmanmx5

Lost electrical power

Before I start to rip the bike apart, wondering if anyone has had this issue. Riding down the road, and the bike just went quiet. No electrical - bike just shut off. Coasted to the side of the road and had absolutely no electrical anything. Bike is a 2009 with less than 1,000 miles. First place to look is???? (Had to get the bike towed home.)
Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-05-2016, 12:59 AM   #2
wacio

Check the voltage on the battery. If necessary - charge. If dead replace. If battery charged - check if running bike provides 13+ volts to the battery. You may have problem with stator or rectifier. If charging OK or not able to even start - check main fuses 30A around starter relay. Than if all fuses look OK (including ones under seat) you will have to diagnose with meter to see at what point you lose connection.

Last edited by wacio; 07-05-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #3
zmanmx5

Update and new question.

Checked various things and the fuses. Found one of the two 20 amp fuses blown. It might be one of the two main fuses but do not really know. Did check the voltage on the battery and was fine, around 12 - 13 volts -- my voltage meter is an old analog unit.

Now the question: What would cause the fuse to blow when I was just riding it during the day, should not have had too much load on the electrical system. The battery is new, had to replace it about a month or two ago. Thought it was the correct model and size for the GZ250 (or so the vendor -- Battery Mart -- said)

(last reply said main fuses are 30 amp, but mine are both 20 amp.)

Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmanmx5 View Post
Update and new question.

Checked various things and the fuses. Found one of the two 20 amp fuses blown. It might be one of the two main fuses but do not really know. Did check the voltage on the battery and was fine, around 12 - 13 volts -- my voltage meter is an old analog unit.

Now the question: What would cause the fuse to blow when I was just riding it during the day, should not have had too much load on the electrical system. The battery is new, had to replace it about a month or two ago. Thought it was the correct model and size for the GZ250 (or so the vendor -- Battery Mart -- said)

(last reply said main fuses are 30 amp, but mine are both 20 amp.)
If there are 20's in were there should be 30's they will blow because they are not heavy enough for the load.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:46 PM   #5
wacio

I apologize for misleading you (memory apparently failing). I checked the main fuse in my GZ and it indeed is 20A. It appears that only one is used and the other is spare. I would replace it and investigate further if it blows again.

Last edited by wacio; 07-05-2016 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #6
zmanmx5

Thanks everyone. Once I replace the fuse, i intend to take it to the dealer to get checked out. Do not want to repeat the incident. Good to know the other fuse is a spare, did not know that.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
zmanmx5

This happened again. After riding for a while the main fuse blows. No that I know what it is, I do a side of the road repair. Replace the fuse, and I ride the bike home. I have gone through the bike and cannot find any wire with frayed insulation, nothing pinching that I can see, while parked, with the bike running, I have pulled on all wires that I can see, and nothing. I cannot replicate this. I am afraid to ride, because it just cuts out in traffic.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have this issue? If so, what did you do to fix it? I was going to bring it to a dealer, but it will have to be towed and I really do not want to pay for shop time for them to tell me there is nothing wrong.

Thanks
Old 10-09-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
Francisco Zapata

I had the same issue

Hey, my friend! I had the exactly same issue about few years ago. In my case, that happened because I left my bike exposed to the rain for few days; and it looked like some connections were wet on my back turn signals.
The solved it just isolating those wires and leaving my bike drying on few summer sunny days in Arizona.

I hope this helps you.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:50 AM   #9
5th_bike

And when I just had the bike, it had the wire insulation of one of the wires to the lights melted off at the engine head underneath the tank, with contact (short circuit) every now and then, that cost me a couple fuses before I had that figured out.

Last edited by 5th_bike; 10-17-2019 at 10:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-17-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
Roadking

Hey
This thread is old but I'm bored so thot I'd add my 2 cents. Replace the fuse again leave battery side cover off. Start the engine and then put a Volt meter across the battery terminals. Should not read more than 13.8v DC. I'll bet you will get over 15v and that is a bad regulator/rectifier. They are known to go bad, and that will cause your circuit to build up heat and eventually blow the fuse.