Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 08-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Nutterhead

Helmet

So I am trying to decide what kind of helmet to purchase. Here in Ohio you have to wear one with your temps and for the first year once you get your endorsment. The problem is I know to be the most safe I should get a full face helmet, but I am leaning more towards a half helment. So I'd like to hear what everyon has to say about it? What kind do you wear and why?
2001 Suzuki GZ250

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Helmet

I have a full and a three quarter. Wear the 3/4 around town and the full on the freeway. Don't really have any logic why but I like wearing the 3/4 much better than the full, but there is no protection for your lower face. Full face is the way to go if you want the most protection, but also weigh the most and are most annoying to wear. They will help cut down on wind a bit if you don't have a windshield.

If you ride for long periods of time, invest in a lighter weight (more expensive) helmet. Mine are on the heavy side and I really feel it after two or three hours.

Do you wear glasses? Then you might need a flip-up or a modular kind if you get a full face.

Make sure the stuffing is removable and washable. Make sure you try on the helmet and get some expert advice on the fit. (Should be tight on your cheeks - and a little "extra" tight when new as they will compress over the first two weeks.) All sizes are different, even within the same manufacturer. Only buy helmets online that you have already purchased or tried on.

There are a lot of motorcyle accident picture sites you can look at that show the aftermath of helmets. If you look at one of them, you might be more inclined to go with a full-face. Personally, I think it's a matter of choice - riding a motorcycle is dangerous whether you have a helmet or not, but as a relative newb, I think I am more than likely to have a serious crash at some point and I don't want to add to the risk of being brain damaged or have my face all fucked up.

Good luck Nutter - I am in the market for a new (lighter) helmet myself and, frankly, shopping for one is a pain in the ass.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Sarris

I've been riding for 35 years or so and I wear a Harley police style DOT 1/2 helmet in the summer and a 3/4 Nolan in the winter. I find that it's too damn hot here in Florida for anything more. It's more likely that I'll have a heat stroke rather than crash. The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either. I don't like the Teenage Mutant Turtle look (Donatello!!) and prefer to ride in jeans, t-shirt (black of course), and riding boots in the summer.

I'm ready, so........flame on.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Nutterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either.
I have the claustrophobic feeling also with full face. I have asked what ATFGATFT stands for so I know but what exactly does it mean? Whats the theory behind it?
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Sarris

All The Gear All The Time with my Nixonian f'n additions.

It basically means armored pants, armored jacket, gloves, full face helmet, and boots all the time. Too damn much stuff for me.

Alan's analysis above is quite thorough and accurate. It's your butt and your decision.

:lol: :skull:

Old 08-06-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
Nutterhead

got it!
2001 Suzuki GZ250
Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
GZ Jess

I always wear jeans and leather over the ankle boots. I usually wear a 1/2 helmet but have been known to skip that once in a while (I know bad girl). I do have a mesh jacket that is awesome for summer nights and the onslaught of painful bugs in the country and for any highway riding but I don't wear it all the time either. I like leather chaps and coats when it is cold. I always wear a bandanna over my forehead and hair and have started carrying a second to wear like a cowboy in the rain and especially buggy nights to protect the bottom of my face.

Oh and I do wear a shirt LOL usually a tank top or T-shirt.

Jessica
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
Viirin

Quote:

Hahaha - This ought to be good one Sarris

I wear caberg rhino, it's a flip-face helmet with full cover - I never wore anything else but it's pretty light, has a built in sun visor that you can slide up or down and you can flip it up for those days that are just too hot to have it closed (although it's seldom hot in Ireland) - I tried wearing a half helmet once, really didn't like it, i guess it's because i started riding with a full face from the get-go and i've been conditioned to wear them, you hear an awful lot more with the half face and i guess i didn't like that, made me feel really exposed or something.

I guess a full face or half face won't make that much of a difference in a BAD crash but you should probably go for what ever feels best for you. For me, it also happened to be the safest. A full face gives me the feeling of safety which goes hand-in-hand with a comfortable ride....but what the hell would I know, for some reason I feel safer riding with a backpack although it doesn't do anything!

Regardless of which type you go for - make sure you go for one of them and not the natural look!

Vii
Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
blaine

Quote:
I've been riding for 35 years or so and I wear a Harley police style DOT 1/2 helmet in the summer The full face helmets make me feel very claustrophobic.

I'm also not an ATFGATFT kind of guy either. I don't like the Teenage Mutant Turtle look (Donatello!!) and prefer to ride in jeans, t-shirt (black of course), and riding boots in the summer.

:plus1:

I too wear a 1/2 helmet.I tried a full face helmet,very claustrophobic!! To each his own.
:hide:

Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #10
ncff07

I wear half helmets. Only type I own(2 of them) and reason being is because I have a Cochlear Implant and I'd be deaf wearing a full face helmet since I cant use the CI with one it would knock it off. Although I've been meaning to get some goggles to fit over my glasses too ever since a big bug went SPLAT right in the center of the right side of my glasses one day!