Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Front vs Rear Braking

When I took the English motorcycle test, the examiners asked questions after the practical test. Two questions they always asked were "which brake do you use for a normal stop", and "why". The answers they expected were "the front brake, slightly before the back brake", and "because if you use the back brake first, you stand a chance that the drag may cause a skid". Experience has shown this to be correct, with the exception that when going slowly (walking pace) with the bars turned, if you use the front brake, the bike will definitely go down. So this is the one & only time to use only the back brake.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2012, 08:16 AM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There are also times when, in mid turn, at speed, that you'll want to use the rear brake to shave just a few mph off of your current rate. You do this to keep from throwing off the current suspension load and possibly losing your line when you are deep into the lean.
This, however, is something to worry about as you start riding a little bit faster.

To answer your original question, the front brake is the main brake. You'll brake with the front probably 80 percent of the time. To lessen the load placed on the front brake parts, since you'll use it to often, I generally always use the rear as well, when in a straight line or when I just want to shave a few mph off, as mentioned above. And when in traffic, just to keep my mind fresh, I'll try using the rear brake on its own, just to make sure I have a feel for how much pressure is required to come a full and complete stop.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
Gz Rider

Old 02-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gz Rider

All that said, I've heard many stories of people dumping bikes during the course.
Also might be the fact that most are newbies and watching the front wheel rather than looking up and looking where they want to go.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #15
minieggroll

I did get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling and have been slowly reading it. lol It's been really cold here but I've still managed to take the bike out for half hour to one hour rides about once a week to practice.

What is dumping a bike? I have used to front brake on the bike when it is going at very slow speeds with no issues. Would this apply mainly to bigger bikes?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
I did get a copy of Proficient Motorcycling and have been slowly reading it. lol It's been really cold here but I've still managed to take the bike out for half hour to one hour rides about once a week to practice.

What is dumping a bike? I have used to front brake on the bike when it is going at very slow speeds with no issues. Would this apply mainly to bigger bikes?

They are talking about dropping the bike in a slow speed turn and using the front brake too much.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll

Applies to all bikes. When you get to the section about bike geometry and steering you will understand a lot better. Rear brake only for slow speeds or gravity will get your attention real fast. It is easier to fall at slow speeds compared to higher speeds.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Gz Rider

Old 02-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #19
PimpS

I don't understand something: when you are talking about the course, you mean a process during you learn the traffic rules, make theory exam, doing practical skills driving the streets and slow practise (driving 8's, stopping the bike from 40km/h, slalom drive, fast slalom drive...) and at the end is a final test which if it is approved by a judge who was watching you and gave you questions about knowing bike and special road situations, and if positive you get your motorcycle license?

Or by course you mean a course which usually lasts for 1 weekend, after you got your motorcycle license, which is good for you to take (not necessarily) just to improve your motorcycle skills? This course we call in Slovenija Training of safe driving, and it is recommended, like said, not obligatory.

thanks for answering, cause sometimes i don't fully understand when thinking of licensed driver, newbie licensed driver or just newbie not licensed driver...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:34 AM   #20
Gz Rider