Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-09-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
Francisco Zapata

My '09 has no electrical.

Hey guys! let me explain how's my motorcycle giving you an introduction on how I've been dealing with its issues last two months.

- About two months, I was driving my motorcycle with no problem, and the next day, I wasn't able to start it, even if I had spark, fuel, and my starter motor was working fine. I changed my battery and spark plug, and I wasn't able to start it, until one week after I changed them (kinda weird).
- Since that day, I was able to start it and run it, but it lost a lot of power; and it was loosing more and more progressively. It was running slower and slower every day; until one day that it wasn't able to start, even if I had both a full fuel tank, new battery and spark plug.
- I was trying to repair my motorcycle for about one month without any success, until I took it to a mechanic, and he told me that I had low compression. He fixed that issue that day; and I was able to ride my motorcycle home. But just two or try minutes after leaving the mechanic, part of my cylinder gasket exploited and I my motorcycle wasn't able to start anymore. Then, I had to tow my motorcycle home.
- Then, I tried to fix the compression by myself applying gasket maker to both to the cylinder, cylinder head, and cylinder head cover, expecting to fix the compression issue in that way ; but after it, my bike wasn't able to start yet. And then, when I was trying to start it, suddenly I lost all electrical.
- Since then, I've been trying to figure out what's the electrical issue. I already checked the battery, and I have 12V+. I checked for continuity on the wire between the + end of the battery and the starter motor: there's continuity. I checked for the same between the - end of the battery and the starter relay: there's continuity. But I still has no electrical on the bike.

At this point, I don't know what also to check in order to repair my bike. If any of you guys can help me to figure out what to do in this case, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
Francisco Zapata

Something I realized today was that the rear light when the key is turned to the “P” position, turns on.
Any idea on what could be happening?
Old 10-11-2019, 04:37 AM   #3
alantf

To switch off the bike, the last position to the left is "park with rear light on". To switch off normally. turn the key to the second from last position.

Old 10-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #4
wacio

If you have low compression due to head gasket - there is no fixing by applying gasket maker. You'll have to fix it right. Buy gasket kit and replace head gasket at very minimum.
BTW - check oil level and state. If you have way too much oil and especially gas in oil - you will have good chance of blowing head gasket or cylinder gasket - due to high pressure in the crank case. If your oil smells like gas - it means petcock, carb needle valve problem (both) - needing urgent fix. Remember - gas is no lubricant - 3 quarts of gas in oil is not good for the engine...

Last edited by wacio; 10-12-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #5
5th_bike

I would check valve clearance for the weak motor problem. See manual, you can download it from a post above.

And check the fuses for the electric problem. If a fuse keeps blowing, you have a short somewhere.

Last edited by 5th_bike; 10-17-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
Francisco Zapata

Thank you to all of you for your answers.
It looks like I don't have an electrical issue anymore. I was able to start mi motorcycle, with all my lights, horn, and everything working fine. It took a long time to start it though. I think that the reason why I had that electrical issue was because just before I installed a tachometer; and when I took it apart, my bike had lights again. All the attempts to start it were making sure that I had gas, air filter in good condition, spark, starter motor working, and gas. Anyway.
But even if I was able to start it, it was very hard to do it, and actually last Saturday I tried to start it again, even if the day before I rode my bike some miles. And I wasn't able to start it. The thing I was sure it had was a low compression, even if I bought new piston rings just one month ago. So, I though that a worn piston and cylinder would've been the problem, and I ordered a new big bore kit, which would arrive around tomorrow or day after. Do you have any recommendation when I try to install it? and in general, do you guys have any suggestion about my bike's case?

Here's the thing I ordered: https://www.ebay.com/itm/172197702728

Last edited by Francisco Zapata; 10-24-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Tags
compression, electrical