Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-03-2010, 11:50 AM   #1
dentheman

Non-ethanol gas locations.

I was messing around on the computer last night and came across the site: pure-gas.org. It lists locations of service stations in the US and Canada that have ethanol free gas. I don't know how current it is, but it might be helpful. A search of ethanol free gas brought up other sites as well, but I didn't delve into them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Non-ethanol gas locations.

Does it really matter? Your GeeZer will run on cat piss (60 octane cat piss anyways), so a little ethanol is no biggie!

:neener:
Old 09-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Does it really matter? Your GeeZer will run on cat piss (60 octane cat piss anyways), so a little ethanol is no biggie!

:neener:
With the carb gumming problems I keep reading about I think it matters to some. Also, with the lower miles per gallon from ethanol, it matters to some. None of it really matters to me at this point since I don't have a motorcycle, but I know others will go out of their way to find ethanol free gas.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
mrlmd1

I don't think the ethanol in the gas has anything to do with carbs gumming up, and what is the drop in gas mileage with ethanol in the gas - one or two or three mpg out of 60-65?
Unless there's an ethanol free station really close by, you will probably waste more gas looking for one.
I don't think, as Saris said, it makes any difference at all for these bikes. It never did with mine, and I really couldn't tell what I had in the tank, it ran perfectly fine.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I don't think the ethanol in the gas has anything to do with carbs gumming up,

and what is the drop in gas mileage with ethanol in the gas - one or two or three mpg out of 60-65?
You are, of course, free to think whatever you want but you are in a VERY small minority of bike riders who don't think ethanol contributes to more frequent carb gumming. It is possible that you are right and everybody else is wrong.

The drop in mileage is about what you stated.

Ethanol has about 10% less energy content than pure gas......so if you have a vehicle that runs of E-85, you would get about 10% less mileage or a LOT less power if the engine was re-tuned to try and keep the same mileage.

With E-10, the drop in energy content (and supposedly mileage) is about 3-4%.

If you were getting 60 mpg with E-0, then you should expect about 58 with E-10.
Most folks probably wouldn't notice that small a difference; in a car it's even less.

The guys who swear that they have a 10-15% drop in mileage with E-10 probably have something ELSE wrong with the bike in the first place. I haven't done a scientific survey but I think they tend to be the ones with open pipes and other "performance" mods too.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

We can buy Ethanol free gas here from Chevron with an octane rating of 94. Do I need it in a low compression engine...no. Do I need to pay above premium prices to fuel a low compression engine that runs fine with 87 octane with 10% Ethanol.....no. Just buy from a major oil company and don't sweat the small stuff.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
We can buy Ethanol free gas here from Chevron with an octane rating of 94. Do I need it in a low compression engine...no. Do I need to pay above premium prices to fuel a low compression engine that runs fine with 87 octane with 10% Ethanol.....no. Just buy from a major oil company and don't sweat the small stuff.
Around here, what used to be 87 octane is now marked as 86 octane with ethanol.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Around here, what used to be 87 octane is now marked as 86 octane with ethanol.
1.15 % less octane. Will you really notice much difference ? I know I wouldn't. :lol:
Old 09-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #9
frempath

Here's the thing with gasoline, its all the same. All of the stations in your home town probably buy from the same distribution point, so it is all the same. The companies will try to say differently, but it is all the same. Most problems in fuel come from storage at your local station. Is the storage underground or vaulted, is the concrete cracked or broken over the tanks, is the storage in a low spot on the lot? These will have more to do with how your vehicle runs than what sticker is on the dispenser. Alcohol or not? If the engine doesn't ping, you are good.

frempath

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90
Old 09-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #10
emory70

right on brother. when i lived in nc, that was the case. all gas came in on the same truck.

here in fl, it's irrelevant, cause by state law, all gas here is gonna have 10% ethanol by such and such date (if not already)

e-85's magic comes from it's astronomical octane (by modern standards).