Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #21
Rick

Re: Oil Leak

haven't tried that yet. Just been pokin' around on the outside with the gas tank on, trying to figure out exactly where the leak is coming from. I guess that'll be the next step.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #22
arsuzukied

To report back:
Mine seems to have cured itself. I normally only ride the bike to work and back (round trip of about 15 miles/day on city streets), but this last Sunday I took it out for a 50 mile plus ride with extended periods between 55 and 65 mph. I waited to see if the leak would show up after that ride, but nothing ever did. I even took a phillips screwdriver and looped a washcloth over the end and poked it up in between the cylinder fins, but no leak! I'll continue to watch it and report if it returns.

I did notice that the bike seems to run better after having the soot blown out of it . . .
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #23
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider

The jury is still out on the aviation gasket stuff. It never completely dried. The excess that oozed out has only dried to the consistency of tar and appears to have somewhat liquefied under heat and run down the cylinder head. So far it hasn't leaked oil, but I'm thinking maybe I should have used the high temp RTV silicone even though it would be a pain in the butt to clean up if I ever had to take it off again. Are there any motorcycle mechanics that can chime in on this?

UPDATE 09-15-08:
The aviation form-a-gasket liquid gasket maker appears to be holding. I'll update if it starts to leak.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM   #24
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsuzukied
To report back:
Mine seems to have cured itself. I normally only ride the bike to work and back (round trip of about 15 miles/day on city streets), but this last Sunday I took it out for a 50 mile plus ride with extended periods between 55 and 65 mph. I waited to see if the leak would show up after that ride, but nothing ever did. I even took a phillips screwdriver and looped a washcloth over the end and poked it up in between the cylinder fins, but no leak! I'll continue to watch it and report if it returns.

I did notice that the bike seems to run better after having the soot blown out of it . . .
Maybe you ran out of oil (just kidding). Have you checked the level since the leak stopped?

Running the bike open for a while could make it run better after burning off some carbon but that shouldn't have anything to do with stopping an oil leak. It would seem it would make it worse or more apparent, unless somehow something swelled up or a bolt got tighter somehow from the heat. Anyone else have an idea how that could happen?
Old 09-11-2008, 05:37 PM   #25
Sarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I had a little of that (Oil leak or stain) on the right rear of the cylinder just below the head. I had the head re-torqued at 12k just to be sure it wasn't a gasket leak. I got the crud off with bumper sticker remover. I used it on the motor when cold, let it sit 10 minutes, and took it right off with a brush. Cleaned that up w/ soap and water. Voila, no crud no stain.

My pal who teaches a Florida MSF course says almost all their GZ's get it. He told me it's a shipping preservative (some type of cosmoline) that the dealer didn't get all the way off at delivery clean-up
This is what I wrote in the Ride Report thread where Easy Rider stated he stopped to have his bike checked on his trip because he thought he had an oil leak.

FYI

:2tup:

Old 09-13-2008, 09:41 PM   #26
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Boy I'm glad I read this thread. I just noticed what appeared to be an oil leak on the cooling fins. With all the other problems I've developed with my bike re: my inner tube and spokes I was really dreading another problem.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:17 PM   #27
Quimrider

The aviation gasket stuff didn't work It may have just been that I tightened it down too much too soon as it all seemed to ooze out. I'm trying this ultra copper stuff. I'll edit my previous post incase someone doesn't read this far.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #28
Quimrider

Well I'm leaking again :??: I wonder if the 7 ft-lb torque spec is right in the service manual for the cover bolts? :??: I'll re-tighten the bolts and see if that helps. Hopefully it's not a warped cylinder head.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #29
caroledee1

I had an oil leak all summer which got progressively worse. I had to quit riding it. Just got it back from the shop yesterday. The clutch case cover gasket was leaking at the top. Not as bad as I thought. I was afraid it was the head gasket. S'all good now!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #30
Water Warrior 2

Always glad to hear about a happy ending to a story. Ride on.