Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: idle speed thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
i do have one more question about the idle speed on this bike, if the idle speed is set higher will it increase performance and how soon your bike runs out of torque between each gear.

i never thought idle speed would make much difference in performance but it did on my bike. i am wondering if i am just crazy
Maybe "crazy" isn't the right word........ :roll:
You are under an illusion though.

Your idle speed is fine and if anything is still a tad bit low; leave it there.

Proper manipulation of the throttle will do the same thing as upping the idle speed.
The higher the idle speed, the LESS the RPMs will fall when you shift, thereby giving you a little head start on acceleration. Once the clutch is fully engaged and you apply the throttle, that tiny advantage rapidly disappears and it gains you absolutely nothing at the top end.
It's the "placebo effect".

[EDIT]
And after reading the rest of the posts.........if you have occasions when the engine REALLY accelerates and your speed DOESN'T then your clutch is slipping......which is a WHOLE different matter. Have you checked the slack in your clutch cable recently ??

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
dannylightning

yeah i have my clutch cable adjusted to the correct specs i can move the lever about 15mm as far as play. the bike only has about 3k miles on it so i don't think the clutch is slipping. it grabs great when upshifting and i mainly use the clutch and down shift and slow down and it seems to work great.

the rpm's might not really go up more they might stay about the same but feels feels like it runs out of torque. it seems to do that right about where the owners manual says you should up shift. 12, 19, 25, 37 mph.. it only seemed to do that when i was putting around.

does that sound normal or not

it does not feel like the engine is trying to accelerate it just feel like the engine runs out of power in that gear and wants me to shift. and only when i am accelerating kind of slow. when i accelerate somewhat fast or fast it never did that..
Old 05-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #13
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

What kind of oil are you running?

You really shouldn't be complaining about running out of torque, since the GZ doesn't have much anyway.

Old 05-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
What kind of oil are you running?

You really shouldn't be complaining about running out of torque, since the GZ doesn't have much anyway.
full synthetic 4T racing oil from mobile1
Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Quote:
Hmm... well, that rules out a slipping clutch due to the wrong type of oil.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:49 AM   #16
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Quote:
Hmm... well, that rules out a slipping clutch due to the wrong type of oil.
i just read about 10 different pages on how to test a clutch for slipping. after reviewing all of the information on how to test your clutch for slipping (they said to do the same couple of things on all the sites) all of witch i have done a time or two since i have had the bike, i remember how the bike reacted to the situations

i don't think the clutch is slipping.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
it does not feel like the engine is trying to accelerate it just feel like the engine runs out of power in that gear and wants me to shift. and only when i am accelerating kind of slow. when i accelerate somewhat fast or fast it never did that..
:??: :??: :??:

I think you are imagining things !! :roll:

Seriously, the engine has a different feel when it is under power than when it isn't.
Get used to it.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
the engine has a different feel when it is under power than when it isn't.
i realize that but some one said after reading all my post that my clutch (IS) slipping. i beg to differ.

i still think the bike preforms a bit better with a higher idle adjustment and that was the point of the thread here. the throttle is definitely more responsive when you first start going or change gears.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
i still think the bike preforms a bit better with a higher idle adjustment and that was the point of the thread here. the throttle is definitely more responsive when you first start going or change gears.
Yes, had that been ALL you said, there never would have been any disagreement for that is definitely true.........but you then went off into never-never land and started talking about better performance at mid throttle and above........and that's just foolish. :roll:
Old 05-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #20
dannylightning

the clutch is slipping. it has started to get a little worse over the last few days. the engine used to make a louder noise when i let the clutch out when the bike was in neutral. it has stopped doing that today.

are all the plates the same size.. i have looked up replacement and watched a few video's on youtube on how to do this, nothing to it. where is a good place to get a new clutch set with the springs and all. or should i just go order one from the dealer.