Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #121
mrlmd1

Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

Alan, if you can't find the helmet lock or you want something more secure than locking the chin strap to the bike, here's a picture I posted back in April I think, for an alternative.
Get a gun cable trigger lock from the local police dept, they usually give them out free. It's locked on to the sissy bar in the picture. Let the helmet sit on top of the sissy bar, loop the cable through the chin/face guard to the upright bar and lock it. If it starts to rain, the inside of the helmet doesn't get wet and nobody's going to steal it. Leave the cable lock on the bar when you're not using it or store it in one of the bags. Don't lose the key. If you get a longer cable lock you can also weave it through your jacket sleeves and lock it on the bike if you want to leave it there for a while when you take a walk , if the jacket won't fit into your bags.
:cool:
Don't comment on the rusty chrome on the bike in the picture, that's before I cleaned it up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #122
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Hoosier
but have you considered removing the extra seat and back rest?
Already removed the seat. (it's Quick release - takes literally a few seconds.) Took The Beast out past Cook's Corner and down El Toro to the Starbucks off to the right there. I didn't stop at Cook's. Moe and I had no incidents when we stopped there with our GZ's last fall, but I didn't want to show up in Harley land with a big shiny new imported bike in the middle of the current meltdown.

There was a sweet Kawasaki Vulcan in the Starbuck's (looks like it is water cooled - I am starting to learn a few things!) Saw a guy and his two up-per sipping something at the tables. Looked a lot like the Strat except for th radiator - if that's what it was. FYI, the Yammmy is Effing HOT! (And I mean that in a Fahrenheit and Centrigrade way, not a Paris Hilton way.)

Not familiar with the bike you mentioned, but i'm usually in town on the weekends and I'd be up for a group ride. Moe and I had fun when we tried it the first time. I believe he's ready to move up as well, so this might put him over the top.

Not to rub it in mid westerner's but... it was 85 and sunny here yesterday.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #123
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Alan, if you can't find the helmet lock or you want something more secure than locking the chin strap to the bike,
Thanks for the tip. My soccer LEO friend helped me figure out the D-ring cable thing. I don't know if I'm going to use it though. I've gotten used to dragging the helmet around. I am a sort of low-hassle guy, and I'm not sure I want to add more stuff onto the bike. If I get TWO helmets, though, might be worth it.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #124
Moedad

Hey Alan, how far do you think can you get on a tank of gas in the Strat? It's 4.5 gal, right?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #125
Moedad

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I believe he's ready to move up as well, so this might put him over the top.
For me, though, money IS an issue.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #126
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Hey Alan, how far do you think can you get on a tank of gas in the Strat? It's 4.5 gal, right?
Not sure, Have only filled it once. It came with enough to drive it home. I've got about 100 miles on it or so and I think I have a quarter tank left. I'm thinking 120 in town, maybe 150 on the highway. I believe it is 4.5 gals (but no reserve in the traditional sense.) I read the low fuel comes on when you have .8 gals left. So part of it depends on how lucky you are feeling.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #127
Easy Rider

Quote:
He did get a little quiet after he asked me "How many cc's." Apparently his H-D is "only 1400..."
If you are gonna keep up this "Mine if bigger that your's" crap, we might have to do you some serious bodily harm !! :skull: :biggrin:

Still waiting for that gas mileage report and a story about accidentally parking it nose down against an immovable object........at which point, you will probably need help from those with smaller......machines. :crackup
Old 01-12-2009, 02:08 PM   #128
alanmcorcoran

I've been real careful, so far, to avoid pointing it face down with no exit. Could use a "reverse" that's for sure.

I'll let you know what I can on gas mileage: Early guess? not that great! I'll be happy if it gets 40-45. It does have FI, but, it's got way more acceleration than even my Suburban, which has a pretty hefty (and gas hungry) engine in it. I don't think the built this one for mileage. I'll be spending a lot of time at the Mobil station.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #129
Easy Rider

Quote:
I'll let you know what I can on gas mileage: Early guess? not that great!
NO.....really ?? Big surprise !! :shocked: :biggrin:
Old 01-12-2009, 02:18 PM   #130
mrlmd1

I also was going to ask what the gas mileage is with 1800cc's pushing around almost 1000lbs. (you and the bike).
A few questions now that you've had this for a short while - we need your experience now to educate the rest of us.

Other than the pain of writing a big check,
Any reservations or recommendations now on moving up from a 250cc, 300lb, to 1800cc's, 800lb., motorcycle, without stopping somewhere in between first?
How does it handle in the city congested type of traffic being that big?
How long do you think that ear to ear grin is going to last every time you even think about it as well as ride it? For most of us including me, it would probably be forever. I doubt it will wear off, but let me know anyway. :2tup:
As an aside, I can't believe the dealer didn't give you a full tank of gas, you get one in a car when you leave the showroom.