Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
My GZ's brother from another mother.

Picked up something to keep my GZ company on those cold winter nights in my garage.

So far, I've only put about 10 miles on it, but it's looking like a keeper to me.

'08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-19-2008, 09:44 PM   #2
music man

ohhh man you got one of those. A buddy of mine got a blue one about two or three months ago, and he let me ride it and man it is nice.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:46 PM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
I was actually lucky to pick this one up. The guy was selling it below what he owed on it, and the 08s are RARE around here.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:52 PM   #4
Sarris

250 Ninja

Very nice looking bike. The '08 is really a vast improvement over the older models. But, I got to tell you that old fat guys like me have one hell of a time riding them. I tried one out at the local Kawi dealer and there was no way I could get my feet on those rear mounted pegs. I also couldn't find the glove box for my gonads, as leaning over on them like that, put me in some real serious compression and left me with a high pitched voice all afternoon.

I'll stick to cruiser style bikes, thank you.

LOL
:lol:
Old 08-19-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

What was your motivation?

I kind of get the idea of a more powerful bike (than a GZ) for freeway cruising, but what's the appeal of having a sport 250 as well as a standard 250? Is the Sport version a lot quicker/faster? Does it have a 6th gear for highway?

If I keep at it (riding) I anticipate I will probably get a second bike was well, but I'm thinking more of a midsize (750) tourer. But I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy bike #2.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Sarris

250 Ninja

Alan, it has a six speed tranmission and about twice the horsepower as the GZ with a 13,000 rpm redline. Kids tell me they are a blast. And it's about 3 times faster than the Geezer.

:2tup:
Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
I'm personally gonna try to find a Ninja 250 next summer. Hopefully I'll be able to afford my GZ250, but we'll have to see...
Old 08-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
patrick_777

Re: 250 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Alan, it has a six speed tranmission and about twice the horsepower as the GZ with a 13,000 rpm redline. Kids tell me they are a blast.

:2tup:
It's very freeway capable with a top end of around 120mph and just a tad lower mpg than the GZ. This one has an aftermarket exhaust and a jetted carb, so it'll probably only look at mid-50s for mileage.

After just a few minutes riding it, I can tell it's a lot "torque'ier" on the low end than the GZ, but doesn't have as much in mid-range powerband than my GZ. Overall, if I'm going to be riding to the store and back to pick stuff up, I'll take the GZ. It (the GZ) is easier to carry stuff on (bags/net etc) and has (believe it or not) about 6x the space under the seat than the Ninja.

Also...here's an added bonus. I didn't originally like this on it, but after being around it more and more, it's starting to grow on me.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Re: What was your motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
If I keep at it (riding) I anticipate I will probably get a second bike was well, but I'm thinking more of a midsize (750) tourer. But I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy bike #2.
Being an (ahem) mature individual AND now being able to ride into the dealership (legally) on a bike puts you in a MUCH better position to actually get test rides than a kid or red-neck just walking in off the street.....in my experience anyway.

AND the test ride is the ONLY way to really get a bike that you like.
You can read every word ever written about the bikes you have an interest in and it just ain't the same as riding them.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
patrick_777

Re: What was your motivation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
being able to ride into the dealership (legally) on a bike
+1

This is an absolute fact.