Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM   #1

saddle bag question

Hey all,

I've read all the saddle bag and saddle bag supports threads, but I can't glean a consensus on this issue. Here's my quandry: Santa brought me some saddle bags and they'll fit quite well once I drill a couple holes in the tongues so I can cinch them closer together. The right one is at least 1 1/2 inches away from the muffler, maybe 2 inches. So question #1 - is that enough clearance? Easy thinks so, I believe, but anyone else have an opinion (not that I doubt you Easy).

Question #2 - Related to above (if not enough clearance): I wouldn't even think of doing this if they were nice bags, and it seems kind of ghetto, but I cleaned up a backyard fire pit recently and spray painted it black with the high heat resistant spray paint. I read the threads about pop riveting aluminum sheets to the bottom of the bag, but do you think spray painting the bottom of the bag with that paint might serve the same purpose (assuming the paint adhered to the vinyl)?

Question #3 - Do I absolutely need saddle bag supports? To me, they look fine, as they're high enough up and the rear fender and the decorative chrome thing (technical term, I know) seem to keep them away from wheels pretty well. Will they flop around too much without the supports (though these are pretty cheap bags, so they were not designed with other straps to attach to supports or the bike anyway - so I'd have to bungee them or something).

I know everyone is going to say get nicer bags, but that's not an option (even Santa has been hit hard by the economy up here in Michigan).

Thanks,

Keith

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: saddle bag question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
#1 - Easy thinks so, I believe, but anyone else have an opinion (not that I doubt you Easy).

Question #2 - but do you think spray painting the bottom of the bag with that paint might serve the same purpose (assuming the paint adhered to the vinyl)?

Question #3 - Do I absolutely need saddle bag supports?
1) I'm not so sure about vinyl. Mine are heavy leather but they have only about 1/2 inch clearance most of the time.

2) No. Not even close. If you need anything at all, you need something to spread the heat out and disipate it. Paint won't do that.

3) Maybe not. You might be able to tie them to the springs via a couple of holes poked through the back and achieve a similar result. The objective is to make it impossible for them to contact the rear wheel. It's your skull at risk!!

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
alantf

First question :- How handy are you with tools? If the bags are vinyl, my first thought is "low melting point", so I really think you should protect them from the heat if you don't want to replace them pretty soon. If you're the least bit handy, & have a drill & a pop riveter (a riveter is not expensive) you can get a piece of aluminium cheap enough from any local hardware store, & it's only a 5 minute job to cut it to size (you'll probably be able to borrow the tinsnips off someone) & rivet it under the bag. A few (hopefully very few) dollars spent now might save you from having to pay out for new bags.
Second question :- Are the bags really floppy? Mine are real thick leather, & even if I push hard, I can't push them into the wheel. Might I suggest that you try to push them (really hard) into the wheel. Even if there's the slightest suggestion that they will touch the wheel, then yes, you do need supports. I was lucky, & don't need supports, but each type of bag is different, so I don't think that there is a definitive answer without first checking.
I bet that once you get the bags sorted out, you'll wonder how you ever did without them, & next Christmas you'll be asking Santa for a back box & rack.
(by the way, Santa brought me a magnificent digital tyre pressure gauge!)

Old 12-27-2008, 10:28 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
(a riveter is not expensive) you can get a piece of aluminium cheap enough from any local hardware store,
Not really necessary to mount with rivets. Small bolts with nuts (and maybe washers) will work too; they just need to be secured with paint, nail polish or Locktite on the threads. Available at the hardware store, about 10 for a dollar.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Merry Xmas Keith. Santa was good to you. 2 thoughts. Don't spray anything on vinyl that might cause a reaction to the material. And you should secure the bags against flopping around. With some weight in them they might be dangerous to your health.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 AM   #6
Blues

My Tour Master bags are synthetic leather (vinyl). They are quite sturdy, so I use no bag supports. They rest nicely on the shocks. As far as muffler clearance, mine clears by 1/4 to 1/2 inch, depending on how much the bag's loaded. I do have a very small scorched spot on the bottom on the bag, but not enough to worry with. My theory is that going down the road, the heat is dispersed by the moving air and just can't build enough to do any melting. By the way, this saddlebag set-up has been on the bike for almost a year and many thousands of miles and still looks good and works well.
Here's how my bags look on my ride.

p.s. This is the large size bag. I'm glad I got this size, as they look good and will hold an 8-pack of Miller ponys (hehe)!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
mr. softie

Good looking GZ, Blues.

I just got a set of bags very similar to yours. BTW what windshield is that? The whole bike has a great look.

I just had a thought, what about a heat shield on the pipe, instead of on the bag?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
I just had a thought, what about a heat shield on the pipe, instead of on the bag?
More difficult and, in the end, not as effective.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
countrydad

I agree that the vinyl won't hold up to the heat and you should probably cover the areas exposed to heat. I have a heavy leather set of bags and don't use the supports. I really can't see any way that mine could cause a problem unless they fell off the bike, in which case supports won't be doing much.

Let us know what you come up with. I am sure that this is a problem more than just yourself is/will grapple with!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:59 PM   #10
Sarris

I sandwiched the Suzuki fake laether between two sheets of aluminum and pop rivited it together. No more problems.

I DO use Suzuki OEM saddlebag supports.