Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
ArizonaKev

Securing saddlebags to supports

Hello all.

So I took some good advice I got here on the forum and got some saddlebalg supports (MC) for my bike and put them on. They look great, and do exactly what they are supposed to - keep them away from the rear wheel, and keep the right one up off the muffler.

Now, I have a new question : the bags the bike came with had some black cords strung through some eyelets, leading me to believe they are supposed to be used to tie the bag down to the support. Thing is, I can't figure out a way to do that that makes any sense, or seems safe at all - almost seems like it would defeat the purpose of the brackets, opening up the possibility for one of the cords to come untied and get tangled in the rear wheel or chain.

Anyone know 1 - if I should be tying them down. 2 - if so, exactly how to do so, and 3 - if it really makes a big difference as far as safety goes. Seems to me the only real danger is if they swing IN too far, can't see how swinging out could cause any major issues.

As always, all respectful replies are appreciated! Oh, by the way, it was cloudy and under 100 degrees here in Phoenix today - GREAT riding weather! :2tup:

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Securing saddlebags to supports

On mine I used black zip- ties,much safer and neater.I found my bags
moved around a little to much for my liking when they weren't tied.

:rawk:

Old 07-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine
On mine I used black zip- ties,much safer and neater.I found my bags
moved around a little to much for my liking when they weren't tied.
IIRC, my bags had holes in the bottom. I ran a short piece of the black lacing from the bottom of the bar down to the holes. The idea was to keep them from flapping in the wind. I suspect that really wasn't necessary though.

Old 07-24-2010, 12:45 AM   #4
ncff07

I don't have saddle bags but I'd think you'd run it around the support and the loose ends go through the eyelets/holes into the bags and tie off INSIDE the bag to prevent from having any loose ends. :??:
Old 07-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
ArizonaKev

Blaine, I really like the zip tie suggestion - I might go that way.
Easy and ncf - I thought I would do it as you both suggested. But strangely enough, these bags don't have 'holes' or eyelets that would allow a person to lace them that way, like I thought they would/should. Instead, they have one - what would you call it..? - external loop, for lack of a better word, on each side of the bag, and one on the bottom. So no matter which way I tied the lacing on, it would have to terminate on the outside of the bags, making for a bit of a hazard I would think.

So I will probably either go with Blaine's idea, or just leave them hanging - kinda' like a moto-version of 'freeballing'!!! :lol:

Have a great weekend all, and as always, thanks for the feedback :2tup:

AZ Kev

Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaKev
Now, I have a new question : the bags the bike came with had some black cords strung through some eyelets, leading me to believe they are supposed to be used to tie the bag down to the support. Thing is, I can't figure out a way to do that that makes any sense, or seems safe at all - almost seems like it would defeat the purpose of the brackets, opening up the possibility for one of the cords to come untied and get tangled in the rear wheel or chain.

Anyone know 1 - if I should be tying them down. 2 - if so, exactly how to do so, and 3 - if it really makes a big difference as far as safety goes. AZ Kev
I had the same issue. I just half-assed mine, but the zip tie idea is a good one. I just ordered a luggage rack for my Strat and I been looking at touring luggage on-line all-day - hope I end up making a better choice than I did with the Suzi bags.