Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Gadgets & Farkles

Old 02-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #1
40MILERUN

Shifter peg cover

Has anyone found a shift peg cover or larger replacement shift peg for the GZ? My wife has been looking for something to provide her with a little bigger target for her toe when she’s shifting, but I haven’t found anything that’s specifically made for the GZ or fit’s the generic range of the factory peg (1” OD X 1.750” length)

Thanks.

40MR

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Shifter peg cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40MILERUN
Has anyone found a shift peg cover or larger replacement shift peg for the GZ? My wife has been looking for something to provide her with a little bigger target for her toe when she’s shifting, but I haven’t found anything that’s specifically made for the GZ or fit’s the generic range of the factory peg (1” OD X 1.750” length)

Thanks.

40MR
Check out KURYAKYN, they have some that fit bigger Suzuki models that will work.I used one that was listed for the 800.Also had the matching one for the brake pedal.Had to do some minor grinding to get the brake cover to fit properly.
:cool:

Old 02-20-2011, 10:28 PM   #3
40MILERUN

blaine,

I appreciate the info. I suspected that there may be some overlap in the Kuryakyn components, but wasn’t feeling particularly adventurous. We’ll give that peg cover a try.

Thanks.

40MR

Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=427&view=next

GadzooksMike installed some nice floorboards on his bike, many moons ago.
This would allow her to place her feet wherever she wanted, and not have to use only the stock footpeg position. So, just planting her foot right under the shifter would be easy-peasy.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

40Milerun, just wondering. How experienced is your wife on the bike ? It may be that she needs more saddle time to get comfy with the GZ. Also, the shifter may be too high or too low for her foot to be at a good angle for shifting. The shifter height is adjustable by way of the long rod from the engine case to the shifter pedal. Just loosen off the locking nuts and turn the rod to raise or lower the pedal. Keep in mind one of the ends is a reverse thread on the rod.
The brake pedal is also adjustable for proper reach. A bit more complicated but well worth the effort and a lot safer if the pedal is hard to reach.
I will add this from personal experience. Always wear the same footwear when riding. Once everything fits and the controls are comfy the ride is a lot easier and fun.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM   #6
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The brake pedal is also adjustable for proper reach. A bit more complicated but well worth the effort and a lot safer if the pedal is hard to reach.
Also, make sure that the brake pedal is adjusted so that it is just UNDER the foot when in a comfortable riding position. For some inexplicable reason, it comes from the factory set up OVER the foot. Even if you buy used, it'll be a certainty that the previous owner didn't know how to set it up properly, & it'll still be incorrect.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:21 PM   #7
40MILERUN

Thanks for the tips (shifter and Brake pedal position). Suzie is fairly new to this bike. As soon as the weather gets comfortable enough to spend a little time at pedal adjustments we’ll make sure it all fits her well. She’s been used to a larger shift peg and so that was an immediate point to work at. We’ll probably have to bring the handle bars back just a little too.

We were surprised with the dealer we bought the bike from. It’s been my experience that dealers typically make some effort to fit a new bike to the purchaser, but this dealer basically rolled it up on our trailer and bid us farewell. We got the bike (new) for a very good price. It may be that they were not interested in providing any additional service at that point. Of course, we won’t be going back to them for any future support… witnessing their apparent attitude or just lack of customer orientation..

40MILERUN
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Also check to see if the hand controls are in the best position for your wife's hands. Rotate the levers if need be and rotate the switch housings for easy reach with the fingers.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #9
alantf

Quote:
this dealer basically rolled it up on our trailer and bid us farewell.
I don't think this is anything out of the ordinary. I think just about everyone on here (me included) has had this experience. Dealers just don't seem to care anymore.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
40MILERUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Also check to see if the hand controls are in the best position for your wife's hands. Rotate the levers if need be and rotate the switch housings for easy reach with the fingers.
Good point. Once we get her handle bar reach set up to fit, we’ll look at the controls alignment. None of it seems to be too far out her comfort range, but I know from experience that small tweaks can sometimes make a big difference in developing that second-nature interaction with the bike. She's a "I'll do it myself" kinda girl, so I'll look it over with her, but step back and let her take satisfaction in working with her own bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
this dealer basically rolled it up on our trailer and bid us farewell.
I don't think this is anything out of the ordinary. I think just about everyone on here (me included) has had this experience. Dealers just don't seem to care anymore.
Yah, we got the feeling that they weren't doing anything that was not specifically requested and paid for, even at the point of purchase. They told us up front that the 600 mile check would cost $320.00… Strikes me as a bit steep. Well, I guess that’s why forums like this one draw so many members… sharing information and doing what you can by yourself.

40MR