Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 06-20-2008, 06:32 AM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Transitioning from one style to another.

I've been wondering something. I've ridden my GZ for only a tiny bit now, and walked through a bikeshop the other day that had the VStroms and Boulevards and a lot of other giant motorcycles there. I sat on a few and felt simply dwarfed by them (and I'm 5'9 225). These bikes were f'n huge.

Then I walked over to the sport bike side of the room, which had a smattering of sport tourers around. There were some GSX-Rs,YZFs , a Hayabusa. and a couple of some 600-650cc sporters (the R6, CBR600RR, ZX-6R...etc.) As I was looking at them, and feeling of the grips and how tall in the saddle they are, two questions came to mind.

1. If I were to try and migrate to a bigger bike, would the learning curve start all over again? I would already understand countersteering and weight shifting and cornering, but would the bike necessitate a totally new learning experience when I try to ride it?

2. Would the skills I'm learned here on my GZ really be that similar to a bigger big?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
my extremely un-educated answer:

my friend just bought a ninja 250. i rode it around the building where i work. once. when i pulled out onto the street i turned reaaaaaally wide because it felt way different to lean it. it also did a fun little nose-dive whenever you hit the front brake; that could take some getting used to/shock adjustment.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:29 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I would suggest that you probably also took a wide turn the first time you rode the GZ.

A motorcycle is a motorcycle. The only real differences being that sportbikes are much more willing to lean in a turn than a cruiser, which you have to force sometimes.

There are certainly differences in the way that a sportbike handles, as opposed to a cruiser style bike, but the learning curve is now much smaller, since, as you said, you know how to to handle having something like that between your legs. (don't read into that) It really wouldn't be any different than getting used to the "quirks" of a new cruiser.

One afternoon, I jumped right off the GZ and hopped onto the new Ninja 650 with no problem. You will compensate for the difference just as you would if you were riding any other bike that is not what you are used to. Ask if you can test ride one in the parking lot.

Jib,
The front end of the ninja dives because of weak factory fork springs. I installed progressive front fork springs and the front end felt much more solid and stable under hard braking. Your buddy might want to look into those. around $58.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:46 AM   #4
Sarris

Bike Transition

Its about a 30 minute learning curve. I have a HD Sportster and a HD Streetglide. The only weird thing is the self cancelling turnsignals on the HD's. Like Jonathan said, after you master the original task, motorcycles are motorcycles, are motorcycles........

Now for handling something between your legs....... totally different skill involved.

LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-28-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
cconleyjr

Re: Bike Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Its about a 30 minute learning curve. I have a HD Sportster and a HD Streetglide. The only weird thing is the self cancelling turnsignals on the HD's. Like Jonathan said, after you master the original task, motorcycles are motorcycles, are motorcycles........

Now for handling something between your legs....... totally different skill involved.

LOL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
try not to do self handling

Old 08-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
mcintyre_aerospace

I would imagine a sport bike would handle completely different than a cruiser because the weight distribution. You tend to sit higher up on a sport bike, making you more top heavy than a low riding cruiser. I never have liked the feel or a sport, to uncomfortable. Im happy with what I got, its not like I'm trying to compensate by getting a sport bike to feel like you finally have something considered big between their legs. I dont need to compensate for anything, hence the small fun bike thats really comfortable.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Not everyone who buys a sportbike is trying to compensate for something.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Graydog

The only differences I notice between the big bikes and the GZ (as far as riding skills go)is when I am stopped or "man handling" the bike in a tight space. I often visit an old river bridge where I grew up. It is at the end of a gravel road. It is a tight turn around spot and you have to rock the bike back and then push it forward several times to get back out. At just a hair over 300lbs the GZ is a breeze to save from a "drop" in the loose gravel while turning it around if I lose my footing. My larger bike was a bitch to turn around there.

At a red light on the GZ you can stand, dig the wedgie out, pick you nose, adjust the mirrors without even noticing you still have something between you legs you need to balance. On the bigger bikes you won't be as casual at first until you get used to it.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM   #9
mcintyre_aerospace

Yes that is true patrick, but all the crotch rocket riders where I live are douches that have an "im better than you" attitude. Just because they have a fast bike doest really make them cool, they are the kind of guys that go in packs and harass people and make too much noise. i do agree with graydog, the gzs lightness is really convenient.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
LilNinja77

Quote:
Yes that is true patrick, but all the crotch rocket riders where I live are douches that have an "im better than you" attitude. Just because they have a fast bike doest really make them cool, they are the kind of guys that go in packs and harass people and make too much noise.
Different places have different standards I guess....around here it's the cruiser guys (mainly the HD specifically) who act the way you describe. The sportbike riders.....no, the crotch-rocket guys (don't want to bad-mouth the sportbike name) just speed everywhere, but that's about it. OTOH, a couple days ago while my mother was fixing the mailbox (it was only 20 something years old ), a very nice guy on a Harley pulled off the highway to offer her help. I had just went back to the house to grab something to drink for the two of us, and missed talking to him, but I did see him as he was riding away. Bottom line is that in either group you have good and bad apples.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~