Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: It Is What It Is

Thanks for the info Sarris. What is your profession/trade? Last year was a crap year for my line of work but this year was actually an improvement...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Shit, you are about the most sane one here.
OK, well now THAT'S a scary thought !! :shocked: :biggrin:

Bad news and good news; too bad that you needed to do that but good that you had some assets to liquidate and were able to do it in a timely fashion.

Hopefully you'll be able to pick up another decent ride for cheap when the time comes.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
Sarris

I'm an unregistered architect (30 years) who has specialized in custom and builder production homes. I was designing and drawing about 45 homes a month with a staff of 4 in 2006. I was never wanting for work. Then someone shut off the switch. I paid the help until my office lease ran out in late 2007, hoping the biz would come back. Boy was that a mistake.

I let everyone go and moved the operation into my home, but I haven't done much since and I've been living out of pocket pretty much since. I'm not out of money yet, but the bike proceeds will help extend my ability to live for quite a while longer.

I have had no success in my job hunt. I'm looking for any work I can find, but no one wants an overqualified fat bald 53 year old guy, so I'm just hunkered down in the survival mode now.

Like I said, it is what it is. I just need to get through this and find some kind of work. I think architecture in Florida isn't coming back, at least for quite some time.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Sarris,

Probably won't be of any use, but, since you have a lot of time on your hands anyway...

...my little brother Kenny works for a builder in North Carolina. I forget exactly the nature of it, but they use some sort of new age concrete or something. It's called Fielder Building Company of the Carolinas. Not sure if you are into "networking" or not but here is his Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php? ... 845&v=info

I think the Fielder Company has a website and his contact info is on there too. Feel free to tell him I told you to give him a call.

He probably isn't looking for an architect, but he likes to talk about his work and the buildings they do and maybe he knows someone that knows someone, etc.

I also suggest you try "Linked-In." It's a sort of Facebook for business (and employment.)

(I'm 52, with just the bald "spot" and, although I dropped the spare tire this year, I don't think anybody would want to hire me either. Not sure I really blame them.)

Good luck. Try to get out and stay connected. I find sitting around thinking about my problems always makes shit worse.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
dhgeyer

I'm truly sorry to hear about your situation. Way too much of it going on. Please keep active here. You may not have a bike right now, but you have loads of experience and knowledge. And a pretty cool sense of humor.

Old 12-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #16
ncff07

Good luck to you Sarris I hope things turn around pretty quick it would make me sick to sell my GZ and I've only owned it since April this year. On the other hand I heard Florida has been getting some pretty cold weather so they may have been just parked this winter anyway so maybe when spring rolls around youll be able to get another bike. :2tup:
Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #17
Viirin

Man i can't believe how rough it's gotten so quickly - hope you bounce back sarris
Old 12-12-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
trykemike

Hi bud. I always appreciated your input.

In Dec 5 / 08 I along with 25 others ranging from engineerrs to accountants was Terminated.

I spent a year applying for work . ( I have 28 yrs as a computer systems operator on ibm tandem hp systems and extensive experience in network connectivity. ) After 200 applications and only 1 interview I accepted the reality that a 59 year old IT tech was not in high demand. The wife said keep the motor cycle and trikes. How ?

Well now I drive a school bus part-time to keep the toys rolling.

Good Luck !!!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
bonehead

Sarris, I was going to tell you about driveing a school bus but Trike beat me to it . It does help pay the bills, and you have holidays off. Being a school bus mech. I have figured that when I retire That I too will drive a bus just for the extra cash. If you have a CDL, you can get hired on real quick. Schools are ALWAYS looking for drivers.
Anyway, sorry to hear about selling the bikes. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
Good luck with everything and please stay on here. WE NEED YA.

Cheers,
Hadley
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #20
alantf

Wow ....... and I thought that I was the only one who left the trade (electrician) to drive a bus. After being made redundant twice in two years, at age 34, I too went driving buses part time for a year. there were no electrician's jobs going, due to a recession. After a year, I realised that there were still no jobs going, so I took a full time job with the local bus company. I stuck it for nearly ten years, then when they were looking to shed jobs, I took voluntary redundancy, thinking I could go back to my old trade. No such luck. After a year of being unemployed again, I took a course to update my certificate (electrical regulations), then got a job with a company installing intruder & fire alarms, closed circuit television & door entry systems. At age 43 I had to start studying electronics, which I had not needed before. I never really got on with the boss (a bean counter) so after nearly ten years & one argument too many - at age 53 - I took the greatest of pleasure in telling him to stick the job up his arse. I left on the friday, & on monday started a job with another local bus company. I stayed with them for a year, until I moved to Tenerife. What I'm trying to tell you is that at the same age as you are now, I started a new life, & I've never looked back. Don't give up hope - just keep your options open. :2tup: