Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #21
burkbuilds

Re: It Is What It Is

Sarris, sorry to hear about your job situation. Hang in there and keep your chin up and your mind open to new options. I spent my life in construction since age 15 until 2007 when I blew my back out for the "umpteenth" time and was told by my back surgeon, "find something to do where you don't have to bend, twist or lift things". So, back to a local tech college for me at the age of 45. Now I'm 47, got an Associates out of the Tech college and a job working in an Engineering R & D department while I work on my BS in Engineering. Four years ago, if someone had told me I'd be out of the construction industry, have a two year degree, be working in an Engineering department, living 100+ miles away from my wife and youngest kid during the week and in a four year Engineering program, I would have called them crazy. I guess what I'm saying is, just keep moving forward in any direction you can until you are back on your feet and hopefully back on a bike. Hope you can find something soon.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 AM   #22
dhgeyer

Wow! A lot of present and former school bus drivers here. Count me in. I did it for about 5 years on and off. It's a job you either love or hate. I loved it, but I like kids. You won't get rich, but if you have a reasonable financial base, you can get by.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
dentheman

I have a suggestion for a job that REALLY SUCKS, but the pay was OK and the benefits were great, at least in Texas. That is Correctional Officer.

It required a background investigation, pee in a bottle, a six week 'boot camp' (Correctional Officer Academy, much easier than military boot camp), and you would have to move anywhere in the state that you were assigned.

They do not discriminate by age, but you have to be able to pass some minimal physical tests.

I saw some of the worst dregs of society, and not all of them were inmates.

I took the job for seven years after retiring from the military because my wife needed the (excellent) medical insurance, but I quit three months after she passed away in 2005.

That's the way it was in TX, FL may differ. Some of the youngsters enjoyed the job, it gave them power that they often abused; I was too kind hearted to stick it out any longer than I had too, so I am getting by OK now on just my military retirement.

Maybe in today's economy there isn't a big need for Correctional Officers, but when I started there was a huge shortage in TX and most states.

It sucked, but it got me by for several years.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
alanmcorcoran

In some ways this thread is very uplifting, what with everyone pulling for Sarris and all, and yet... it's kind of a harsh reality check when the best employment opportunities for a man who is technically in his career prime, involve either prisoners or a yellow cage with an extended wheel base.

I'm gonna look into what the hiring requirements are for driving the bus that transports the cons from county to state. It's gotta be the golden career opportunity of the next decade.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #25
blaine

I spent twenty years as a flooring contractor,the last ten years self employed.In 07 I was sidelined with throat cancer,and had a total laryngectomy.I was told I had to change careers.I spent all of 09 looking for a different line of work with no luck.In early 2010 I decided to go back doing flooring.I'm glad I did,as I feel good & love my work.As they say "love what you do,and you will never work a day in your life".Head up Sarris things will turn around!
:2tup:

Old 12-14-2010, 01:59 AM   #26
dentheman

I can't think of many jobs that are more recession-proof than school bus driver or correctional officer. There will always be kids and criminals.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
5th_bike

Sarris,
I'm not in your line of work so you probably already know, but have you checked into becoming "LEED accredited", that seems to be hot and important nowadays. It is about 'green building'. Sorry if this was no help whatsoever, and the best of luck with your situation.
I sure hope you can afford to get on two wheels again soon.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #28
burkbuilds

Sarris, I guess you have noticed that a lot of us hold you in very high regard. A good name is worth more than many riches. We are thinking of you and hoping for a positive change in your employment situation in the near future. Hang in there.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:49 PM   #29
Sarris

Thanks guys, your comments are very kind.

Like I said, it is what it is. Que será, será

Thanks again;

Sarris
Old 12-20-2010, 01:01 PM   #30
GZ250

try North Carolina (Durham, Cary, Apex, Raleigh, RTP (research triangle park) area. NC is much better than many states, florida especially in housing market.

the construction stopped here but it is coming back so they will need people and experience sometime helps, may be you wont make what you were making before but something is better than nothing.

good luck and best wishes for all who are in the same boat.