Sarris

Re: Electrical Trouble

SOS, DD

:neener:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
geezer

if the light is doing it then the signals should be to. might have a blown bulb, loose connections or your flasher relay
Old 06-16-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
kparker55

<geezer> - All signals appear to be working correctly regardless of indicator light behavior - but I will check more closely under all scenarios.
<Sarris> - Yes, "minimal" is a good word for the gz250 electrical system. I had replaced a bulb in my non-working right rear turn signal with a WalMart-bought Sylv 1141 LL (12.8v, 18.4w) with no success only to find (luckily) a loose wire connection under my seat as the culprit. But I believe I put back the OEM bulb.
<bonehead> - Thanks to this site, I feel confident I can successfully check the indicator bulb to either replace or check for looseness. This will be the first thing I do when I have some time.

Folks, I really appreciate the input! I'm getting the sense that my "weak battery" theory isn't getting any traction here but instead you are advising me to check bulbs and connections...will do. Will keep you posted if I find something.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:32 AM   #14
geezer

sorry there are many problems it couldbe those are the more likely. check and see how mch voltage you batt gets at high idle if high or low suspect bad voltage regulator
Old 07-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #15
technocat

From what the manual says, the front turn signal bulbs are supposed to be a P21/5W, which is a bulb number 7528 in the Sylvania brand...it is 5W low beam and 21W bright beam. Using any other wattage will result in irregular flash. (Same bulb for the brake/tail light)

The rear turn signals are a P21 bulb, or 7506 in the Sylvania line. This is a single 21Watt bulb. I've used standard Sylvania Long Life (red packaged) automotive bulbs and they work forever.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #16
grego

hi all

when i searched for p21 5w bulb on ebay it comes up 1157 which is a standard bulb. there are lots of led replacements of all kinds of shapes. wonder if its better for the electrical system if the bulbs were converted to led ?? be less load on the system or am out in left field somewhere

safe biking

gregor
Old 07-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

1157 bulbs will do just fine. As for LED bulbs I have tried them and tossed them. I went a bit cheap to experiment. To get a good quality LED you will have to spend more than you want and then install an electronic flasher to operate them. Use regular bulbs and do not worry about the power draw. The signals themselves are not on for long and there is minimal power draw from the 5 watt filaments in the 3 illuminated bulbs.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 AM   #18
ateofan

:poke2: Hey RavenousPirate = did you ever get to the bottom of the console indicator light not blinking to show that your turn signals were in fact on and working? I am having the exact same issue and can not figure it out, plus that tiny console bulb is tricky - i see no way of replacing it aside from cutting the wires & splicing a whole new assembly in, which i am hesitant to do without knowing if it will for sure fix the problem...
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #19
Gz Rider

Old 01-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #20
mrlmd1

The bulb itself cannot be bad if it goes on and off but it is possible to have a bad or dirty connection to it in it's socket.
Also check and clean the contacts to the flasher relay and check the wiring diagram to see where the indicator light gets it's power from.
You most likely have a bad connection somewhere or a frayed wire..