Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #1
snear

all suggestions welcome

hi there im at a place where im not sure wot i wana do.i have been looking for a 250 cruiser for a while now but and they are very hard to come across here in Ireland.i was originally looking for the virago 250 due to it being capable of 80+mph.i got to say i do luv the look of the marauderover the virago but the engines power and sound is a little off putting.
well a marauder 250 has come up for sale close by.new tires,new battery,new brakes n 12 months road tax its a 2000 model and the fella only wants 700 euros.talking wit the fella on the phone he reckons with me being 5.11, 210lbs this bike will be to small also he says top end is only 65mph. so the question is
would i be to big for this bike and can this bike be pepped to doing a few mph remember Ireland full of hills lol
thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

You're a good size for the bike, no worries there.

For comparison, the Virago is very cramped and anyone over 5'6 will have trouble getting their knees under the handlebars.

That seems like a good price as long as everything is new like he says it is.

These bikes aren't made for lightning fast acceleration or top speed. They are made to be motorcycles. They are made to happily and safely carry you from one destination to another with some fun thrown into the mix. They are made for cruising the undulating Irish back roads for hours.

I think you'll really enjoy it.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
snear

thanks for that think best thing is go give it a try seeing as its me first bike

Old 05-15-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Absolutely.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
alantf

I weigh around 11 stones (155 pounds) and live on a very hilly island (it's just a giant volcano) and the Marauder (GZ250 in America) carries me up them just fine. Remember that the European GZ's carb is set up richer than the American bikes (thanks to their nanny laws) so it''ll do the job better. 65 MPH sounds about right for normal cruising, but the bike doesn't like wide open throttle for mile after mile, but it's a great commuter bike. Also, you'll like the economy. I did a check, yesterday, when I filled up, and found that I'd got 76 MPG (UK gallons) Cheap to run and maintain, but it is what it is. No 250 is gonna be a crotch rocket.