Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 04-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #51
Water Warrior 2

Re: First ride on new GZ 250.

Another Catch 22 brought to you by your elected officials. :lol: Common sense is very uncommon nowadays and getting worse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #52
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Warrant of fitness. Is that the same as the yearly safety inspection sticker we have in the states?
My guess would be a YES. Another example of being separated by a common language.
In England it's the "M.O.T. test" (Ministry Of Transport)
In Spain it's the "I.T.V." (Inspeccion Technical Vehiculos)
In South Carolina, USA we don't need no schtinking inspections. Of course you do get some shabby looking vehicles on the road at times. I voluntarily pay for a safety inspection once a year for my vehicles (and sometimes they bundle it with the oil change as a special).

Old 05-26-2012, 05:12 PM   #53
sarzacsmom

Road Clam-- you are in NH USA??? Me too. Where abouts in NH, if you don't mind me asking? I don't own a GZ250 (yet?), but am looking at one tomorrow in Bedford NH. Are you able to pull the hills okay in our good old granite state with the 250?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #54
sarzacsmom

I was actually informed by the police department recently that statistics show that , at least here in the states, the majority of serious motorcycle crashes(including fatalaties) are NOT newbie riders, but are actually people owho have been riding between 5 & 10 years. The reasoning is they've been riding long enough to start getting overconfident plus start moving up to bigger and more powerful bikes, and they get themselves into trouble. My brother has been riding for 30 years and he always says "just when you thhink yo've got that bike mastered, it's going to show you that you don't". Another family friend that has been riding for 40 years, parks his bike for a year eery once in a while. When he finds himslef saying "wow that was close, or that was stupid" a few times in a given riding season, he parks his bike, doesn't ride it the next year, then when he gets back on it, he's back to being extra cautious on it cuase he hasn't ridden it for a year or so an needs to get used to it again. I know that it's easy to say he shold just be extra cautious and keep riding, but I respect him for knowing when he needs to park it-- As a newbie rider-- just got my license 3 weeks ago, though I've been around them and on them for years, I am always apprehensive when I go out and still won't go out alone yet. I have an 83 Honda 450, and have decided it's too heavy for me , especially since the o lder bikes tend to be top heavy and I jsut gave it to my husband and I'm riding a 78 185 twinstar, but want/need a bike that is a little heavier and a little more power-- so I'm looking at the GZ250 tomorrow--- hoping that it will be the perfect bike for me.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #55
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarzacsmom
I was actually informed by the police department recently that statistics show that , at least here in the states, the majority of serious motorcycle crashes(including fatalaties) are NOT newbie riders, but are actually people owho have been riding between 5 & 10 years. The reasoning is they've been riding long enough to start getting overconfident plus start moving up to bigger and more powerful bikes, and they get themselves into trouble. My brother has been riding for 30 years and he always says "just when you thhink yo've got that bike mastered, it's going to show you that you don't". Another family friend that has been riding for 40 years, parks his bike for a year eery once in a while. When he finds himslef saying "wow that was close, or that was stupid" a few times in a given riding season, he parks his bike, doesn't ride it the next year, then when he gets back on it, he's back to being extra cautious on it cuase he hasn't ridden it for a year or so an needs to get used to it again. I know that it's easy to say he shold just be extra cautious and keep riding, but I respect him for knowing when he needs to park it-- As a newbie rider-- just got my license 3 weeks ago, though I've been around them and on them for years, I am always apprehensive when I go out and still won't go out alone yet. I have an 83 Honda 450, and have decided it's too heavy for me , especially since the o lder bikes tend to be top heavy and I jsut gave it to my husband and I'm riding a 78 185 twinstar, but want/need a bike that is a little heavier and a little more power-- so I'm looking at the GZ250 tomorrow--- hoping that it will be the perfect bike for me.
Lynda is 5ft/4in I think and the bike was a perfect fit for her. Yup, perfect enough for a 3,000 mile road trip.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:03 PM   #56
fatoldfool

Wow, the costs of owning a bike are sure high in some places. I just paid $1400 for a 2008 GZ250, cost me $75.60 at the DMV, and my insurance is $5.63 per month for legal minimum. License is $18 per year. I didn't realize how lucky I am. Full coverage on a 2006 HD FATBOY only cost me $29 per month.