Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #1
Roadking16

2005 gv250

Hi folks. I bought my daughter a 2005 GV250 to learn to ride. It has only 3400 miles on it. The previous owner had not rode it much since 2013.

Since I have bought the bike I have change the oil and filter and spark plug.

The problem is with op shifting. When you go to op shift from 1st to 2nd or second or third it is very tough moving the gear lever up. What could be causing this? Again, this bike has basically sat around for eight years. The previous owner bought it in 2010 to learn to ride and got bored with it around 2013. Thank you for your help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Could be an issue with the clutch release cam shaft. Not that familiar with how the system all works. With that few of miles on it, I would think the clutch assembly would be in good shape. Make sure that before she shifts, the rpms are up near the top of the gear she is in and it should make the transition to the next gear easier.

I am sure someone else will come along that is more familiar what else to look for. Also, make sure the clutch cable is adjusted correctly so that when you pull the clutch lever, it is fully disengaging the pressure plate.
Old 10-06-2021, 12:40 PM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I think clutch lever adjustment is a good starting point for this one too.

I would doubt there are serious internal problems unless you start to experience other symptoms.

Start by eliminating the small stuff first.

What oil and filter combo did you use? Were there shifting problems before the oil change? How does she ride overall? Do you experience the same shifting issues at higher speeds and it other gear changes?

Login or Register to Remove Ads