Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #21
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: My new bike - 1983 Kawasaki KZ550

Well, I'm back, and now that winter is starting to leave us I've been able to get some work done on my bike.

So far I've:

- Replaced the handlebars with superbike bars (MUCH more comfortable)
- Replaced the chain, front, and rear sprockets
- Replaced front and rear tire (by myself!)
- Spray painted the front fender and chain guard black
- Relocated the front blinkers to the back (mounting issues with the new bars)
- Replaced brake shoes on the rear brake

Still to do:

- Change brake fluid and oil
- Refinish tank (or at least stabilize it so I can refinish next winter)
- Install new front blinkers (on order)
- Waiting on a chain tool so I can install the master link clip on the new chain (no worries, I'll be taking it to the shop to have the rivet link installed)

And finally...

- Get the darn thing started. It's been too cold to get it started after having been sitting for a few months. I've drained the gas and hopefully next week I'll run out and get some fresh gas to put in it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-07-2009, 08:36 PM   #22
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Old 03-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #23
primal

Painting the front fender with BBQ/stove paint.

New chain (x-ring type) and rear sprocket. I've also painted the chainguard (not shown) black like the fender.

Used the mounting hardware from the front blinkers (which were mounted to the handlebars) to mount the rear blinkers to the passenger handlebars.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #24
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

I'm digging the black rims and the handle bars but it seems to be missing something in the front.. you should look into a small like.. crotch rocket looking windshield i think it would bring the bike together nicely.. balance it out and stuff.. but otherwise cool dude.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #25
primal

I was considering a cafe-style windshield, but $70 is a lot for a purely cosmetic addition. I might look into it this summer, though, who knows?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #26
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
I was considering a cafe-style windshield, but $70 is a lot for a purely cosmetic addition. I might look into it this summer, though, who knows?
Jonathan might still have his lying around...you might want to email him and ask.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #27
greenhorn

Quote:
This one is interesting:

Department of Defense? I think I might keep that on there instead of painting for the forks like I'd planned. I kinda like the historical aspect of it.

Definitely!!! Do you know what the story on that is?

GH
Old 03-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #28
caroledee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneoutflying
Quote:

Department of Defense? I think I might keep that on there instead of painting for the forks like I'd planned. I kinda like the historical aspect of it.

ely.
Nothing really historical about it. It was just owned by someone in the military or a civilian who worked on a military instillation. It is a decal that must be put on the vehicle before you can drive on base usually with two other decals one with the date it expires and one with the base name. :cool:

Although it is supposed to be removed if the vehicle is sold. :whistle:

This answer was on the first page of this thread and I know from experience it is correct.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:14 PM   #29
primal

Yea, well like I said, I still think it's neat. How many bikes out there have Department of Defense parking stickers on them?

Update:

My chain tool came in the mail today (as did some new brake fluid) and I finally got the clip on the master link installed. First order of business when I get the bike up and running, of course, is to take it to the shop and have them install the rivet master link that came with the chain.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM   #30
primal

Well, I got her started up today! I'd been trying to start her all winter, but I guess all she needed was a decently warm day and some fresh gas. She started up IMMEDIATELY, even faster than my car starts. Not too bad for having set since November without running, eh?

The only bad thing is it seems like she's only running on 3 cylinders. Tomorrow I'm gonna swing by Advance Auto and see if they have spark plugs for her. Gonna go ahead and replace those since they're probably the originals anyway. If that doesn't fix the problem, I might take her to the shop and ask their opinion, since I'm not sure if I wanna tackle tearing down and rebuilding 4 carbs.