Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: 2005 Yamaha V-star 1100 Custom Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I guess I better figure out what a spin-on oil filter is.

What are the advantages, in practical terms, of fuel injection over Carburation? Also, 1100 is shaft drive, while some other bikes of similar size are chain or belt. Is shaft the best? Why?
Spin on oil filter: large center hole is threaded, you screw the filters on and off and they reside outside the engine.......like a car.

Fuel injection: Generally more reliable and less (no) routine maintenance, except maybe a little Techron in the gas from time to time. Only potential downside is, like lost of modern electronic stuff, if it ever breaks it's more expensive to fix. Car injection compensates for altitude, grade of gas, etc. Don't know if bike controllers are that sophisticated though.

Shaft drive: Perfect for you because it requires little to no maintenance. :neener:
Also somewhat safer than a chain.

Something we haven't touched on yet: Self adjusting (hydrallic) valve lifters. Just another thing to minimize the need for routine maintenance.

Best overall bike I ever owned: Honda CB 550-4. I-4, shaft drive, hyd. lifters, 6 speed.
Alas it was just a bit too tall for me. Now I wish I had looked into lowering it a bit.

Oh and one other thing I've been meaning to mention: As you test out bikes, give them a back-up test. Find a slight downhill in a parking lot or similar; stop the bike facing downhill and then see what it takes to back up........like you parked on a slight downhill with no escape moving forward. Goldwings have reverse !!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
alanmcorcoran

That back up test sounds like something you learned the hard way. The FI and the inabilty to change the oil filter seem to be the most serious knocks against the 1100's. There is apparently an aftermarket kit that fixes the Oil Filter problem, not sure if the one I'm looking at hs it. The reality is, I don't mind having the dealer change the oil as muchas some others would. The FI is a bigger issue. It seems the Suzuki Boulevard? is the bike people recommend for that.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
That back up test sounds like something you learned the hard way.

It seems the Suzuki Boulevard? is the bike people recommend for that.
Yep. Decided to "downgrade" my Kaw Eliminator 600 after I couldn't get it out of the shed last year without moving the tractor so I could drive it out forward. I like my GZ but I did almost cry.

A LOT of folks like the Zuki S/M/C 50 line (800 cc).....but they are still V-twin Harley clones......mostly.
Might want to have a look here:
http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum/

Login or Register to Remove Ads