Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

07 Liner

Hey Alan. Got your ears up ? Went to the bike show yesterday and they had a 07 Liner there. Had a test sit. Wow, big bike for sure. Not my first choice but still one very nice bike for the rider who is after a big V-twin. Also looked at the new for 2009 Yamaha 950 V-twin. A really sweet looking bike from any angle. Nice features and a belt drive too.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: 07 Liner

Ears are up. Was it for sale? (was it new?) How many 'loonies?
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Yup it was brand spanking new and for sale. Didn't really notice a price tag but I am sure it was more than my allowance would allow. However there was an area where there was some new non current models(05-08) that were repos from folded bike shops at some pretty nice prices. Mostly Kawasakis, half of them being sport bikes and cruisers making up most of the remainder.
Got a really neat demonstration at the Victory sales area. Their flagship bike was designed to be dropped without any damage occuring to the bike. The rep leaned the bike over and let go of it. It will fall over and has front and rear bars that don't look like bars to stop it's fall and allow one person to lift it back up. A really neat design that is not apparent unless pointed out. These bars run horizontally not vertically and are part of the overall design. Check it out for the fun of it sometime, you will be amazed at this clever idea.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

I looked at Victories a little when I had the bug. Felt like they were priced for the "Hey, look how much money I've got!" crowd, but I really don't know if that's the case (didn't try to seriously buy one and I was originally looking to spend about 6-7K used until I ran into the '07 Strat.) I think when I looked their new bikes started at about 16K and they didn't have that many dealers in the area. They do have a pretty cool "look" about them though.

Given the general fear (and overextendedness) of the US consumer I expect that those of you that have saved your pennies and waited for the right time will be able to pick up your dream bikes for a lot less in the next six months or so.

I don't know a lot about motorcycles, but I am a business guy and I try to keep up with the business news. Based on the stuff I've read over the last few weeks, H-D's Financing arm is in the same deep shit as the US mortgage business and a significant fraction of their portfolio is under water. They guy that was running it (the financing) hightailed it a few months ago, and I think the head of the whole thing is also in the process of calling it quits. Add their crappy 4Q sales volume (and likely dealer desperation discounting to move product) and you have the motorcycle version of the housing crisis. They'll probably try to hold out for a few months (who knows, if they supported BHO in the election maybe they'll get a taste of the TARP funds) but after that, it's gonna be a buyer's market. Popular models on the showroom floors will still probably command list, but repos will be available sans dealer setup, transpo and probably 10-20% off list.

Not sure if that will translate to other (metric) makes, but when I was shopping for the Strat, the two dealers I visited were ghost towns.

Happy hunting!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Felt like they were priced for the "Hey, look how much money I've got, crowd"!
Aren't you a part of that crowd? :bow: They probably are gonna pull your membership card for your derogatory comments here today. :lol: :lol: :poke2:

Old 01-25-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
alanmcorcoran

Nah, I'm more of the "Look at this big, sweet bike I'm riding" crowd. (I have the money to be part of the other crowd, but I don't believe in wasting it. If you are part of the lookit how much dough I have crowd, you don't buy an '07 and you probably don't buy metric in a motorcycle. Remember, I shopped around, and bought a two year old imitation H-D for about 40% off list. To flash your cash, you buy a brand new, gigantic Harley [okay, maybe a Goldwing,] and dress from head to toe in matching H-D Leathers. Then find a high traffic place to park it and stand next to it. With some pricey shades. At least that's what it said in their brochure...)
Old 01-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

Quote:
[okay, maybe a Goldwing,]
You buy a goldwing when you decide.. ya know i don't care if everyone knows that i'm a dork. This seat is comfy as hell!
Old 01-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Nah, I'm more of the "Look at this big, sweet bike I'm riding" crowd. (I have the money to be part of the other crowd, but I don't believe in wasting it. If you are part of the lookit how much dough I have crowd, you don't buy an '07 and you probably don't buy metric in a motorcycle. Remember, I shopped around, and bought a two year old imitation H-D for about 40% off list. To flash your cash, you buy a brand new, gigantic Harley [okay, maybe a Goldwing,] and dress from head to toe in matching H-D Leathers. Then find a high traffic place to park it and stand next to it. With some pricey shades. At least that's what it said in their brochure...)

I was just pickin' at you Alan, And by the way those Victory Motorcycles are supposed to be very nice bikes, but they are definitely WAY OVER-PRICED.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
Quote:
[okay, maybe a Goldwing,]
You buy a goldwing when you decide.. ya know i don't care if everyone knows that i'm a dork. This seat is comfy as hell!

:crackup :haha:

Agreed.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 01-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
Sarris

I'm gonna vomit. I've said it before, It's not WHAT you ride, it IS the ride. That being said, I love my Harley and my GZ too.

No dress up for me, that's for rich boy posers (read Alan).

:puke: