Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 04-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
this is what's been keeping me busy all winter:

it's a '78 jeep CJ-7, and it rocks. it's also a LOT of work just to keep it running... :bang: but on the plus side i've learned a lot of stuff that will be helpful if i ever need to work on my GZ. for instance, a carburetor is no longer a mystical device that will explode if i touch it, haha.

in more bike-related news, i realized i lost my only key. if i can't find it soon, can the suzuki dealer get me a new one if i give them the VIN? it's starting to warm up (sorta) and i wanna ride!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-16-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
mr. softie

Re: this is what's been keeping me busy all winter:

I would cross my fingers and pray to St Anthony and hope you find the key. The dealer may be able to help if you bought your bike from him new and someone was conscientious enough to record the key code. Only with the key code can a replacement key be made by the dealer. A locksmith will charge $50-$75 to make a key from scratch to match your lock. And when you do get a key have a copy made so you have a spare and keep it in a safe place! :poke2:
Old 04-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #3
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA

i had no idea there was a patron saint of lost keys. all is not lost!

it's got to be in my garage somewhere... i suppose if all else fails i can spare $50 for a locksmith. do they make house calls?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #4
alantf

When I bought my bike, new, the two keys came with a little black plastic tag with the key code on it. I keep it in the garage in case I need replacement keys. It's a long shot, but a previous owner may have done the same, & it may still be hung up on a hook, or in a drawer somewhere. Also, in my owner's handbook, there are spaces to record such things as engine number, vin number, & key number. If you've got the handbook, the number may be there - or is it maybe that I'm super efficient (LOL) like a little old lady?

p.s. That's a rhetorical question. Answers in the affirmative are not required!
Old 04-16-2009, 10:18 AM   #5
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIBTEXHNKA
i had no idea there was a patron saint of lost keys. all is not lost!

it's got to be in my garage somewhere... i suppose if all else fails i can spare $50 for a locksmith. do they make house calls?

I have a friend that has an 87 Honda rebel and he lost his key, the Honda dealer told him that if he took the ignition out and gave them the number off of the ignition that they could get him a key, even off an old bike like that.

Now he hasn't actually done it yet, so I don't know if it works or not, but it would be worth calling a Suzuki shop and asking.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #6
mrlmd1

I don't think it's actually that easy to get the ignition lock out without destroying it. You may need a new lock and key if you can't get a replacement or a locksmith can't make you one. Get a few spares and put them away some place where maybe you can find them again. That's almost the hardest part, forgetting where you placed something for safe keeping and trying to find it later.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I don't think it's actually that easy to get the ignition lock out without destroying it. You may need a new lock and key if you can't get a replacement or a locksmith can't make you one. Get a few spares and put them away some place where maybe you can find them again. That's almost the hardest part, forgetting where you placed something for safe keeping and trying to find it later.
Actually, with a VIN or, at worst, the "Key Code" it's simple for a dealer parts guy to cut a key, also pretty easy to 're-key' an ignition cylinder and key lock (At least on cars from personal experience). But probably not cheap.

Locksmith is probably the cheapest way, if you or he can get a blank beforehand.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I don't think it's actually that easy to get the ignition lock out without destroying it.
Just guessing, but I would have thought that a locksmith would need to take the lock out, the take the barrel apart, to make a new key.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #9
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I had a new key made for an 80s yamaha gas tank lock by a locksmith. Took him about 10 minutes.

Make sure you go to someone who specializes in motorcycles. Not all locksmiths do bikes ... they'll do it, but charge you more and no guarantee they can make you a new key.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 04-26-2009, 08:59 AM   #10
adrianinflorida

Yep, they start with a blank,, and slid it into the tumbler, pull it out, check the marks on the key, file a bit, and repeat, over and over till they have all the grooves cut, it's sort of neat to watch.