Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 03-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
kongjie

Looking at a used 2006

Hi all, my first post here, I'm a new rider and there is a 2006 GZ 250 in my neighborhood with less than 700 miles. It belonged to a fellow who passed away about a year ago, and I'm getting my first look at it on Monday, courtesy of his widow.

I'm aware of the great used motorcycle evaluation guide, and my expectation is to be doing an inspection of the bike without being able to start it--I assume that the battery is dead and that even if it weren't, running the old gas through the carb isn't a good idea.

In the event that it looks good, my plan is to have it towed to a shop, have the fluids replaced, tuned up, and assuming the tires are original, have those replaced as well.

Apart from the usual suspects, is there anything in particular that I should be looking for with this model year? I appreciate any suggestions. Right now I have no idea how long the bike has been sitting in the garage--I can guess around two years.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-15-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Looking at a used 2006

Drain old gas...add new and Seafoam or Berryman's B12.

Have new battery charged over night on trickle charge .75 to 1.5 amps.

Drain carb, use prime , and choke enricher and see if it will start and run.

Oil ,brake fluid and tires must to be changed.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 03-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a good buy.
The engine likely needs it's first valve inspection/adjust too. Once the bike is up and running you will find it is an ideal bike to develop your riding skills and confidence.

Two things you should do for your safety and health are a proper rider training course and finding a copy of Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Also don't forget to get some riding gear with armor. Even a low speed oops can hurt and leave permanent damage without protection.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
kongjie

Thanks for the advice.

I took an MSF course 2 weeks ago and just got licensed. I purchased and read Hough. I also have new boots, gloves, and got a good deal on a local used BMW jacket and pants that include armor. I'm going to pick up a full face helmet this weekend. I'm kind of a safety nut. That being said, I'm over 50 and haven't ridden for more than 3 decades (and that was a little Honda dirt bike), so I know I need to start slowly. That's why I'm already planning on--if I buy this one--having it towed to and from the garage.

So right now all I need is a bike! I've been holding out to look at this one before I consider others, just because I connected with the guy's wife locally and I'm hoping she is ready to clear out the garage. She has been too busy for me to come by until now.

One thing that just occurred to me is that the registration is probably in his name. Is that going to be a problem for her to sell it to me?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
bpdchief

She should be able to sign over the title and send along a copy of his death certificate. At least that's how we handled it in Oklahoma.

Good luck and ride safe... esp in CA :poke2: :poke2: :poke2:

Old 03-16-2013, 03:27 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongjie
Thanks for the advice.

I took an MSF course 2 weeks ago and just got licensed. I purchased and read Hough. I also have new boots, gloves, and got a good deal on a local used BMW jacket and pants that include armor. I'm going to pick up a full face helmet this weekend. I'm kind of a safety nut. That being said, I'm over 50 and haven't ridden for more than 3 decades (and that was a little Honda dirt bike), so I know I need to start slowly. That's why I'm already planning on--if I buy this one--having it towed to and from the garage.

So right now all I need is a bike! I've been holding out to look at this one before I consider others, just because I connected with the guy's wife locally and I'm hoping she is ready to clear out the garage. She has been too busy for me to come by until now.

One thing that just occurred to me is that the registration is probably in his name. Is that going to be a problem for her to sell it to me?
Good for you in getting the gear first and your lessons too. I pretty much did the same thing. Ah.....well except for the lessons which was an eye opener when I finally did. I still shudder when I realize how bad I was after years of riding. Bad habits were just waiting to bite me big time.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
kongjie

Turned out that the bike was registered in the wife's name, so registration was a snap.

I had it towed to and from the shop so I wouldn't have to deal with my first ride being a long ride home in traffic. Got it back and went for my first ride over the weekend, and now am commuting to work.

The shop drained and checked the gas tank, changed the oil, and checked the battery. I told them to replace the tires, as the tires were original from 2006. However the bike has been garage-kept and only has 700 miles, and after checking the tires for possible problems the shop advised me to keep them. They don't show any cracking and are still sticky, in his words.

My first day out I was crestfallen. I went 1/4 mile blocks and the bike stalled, and after a couple of attempts the battery wouldn't turn it over anymore. I pushed it home and when I got to the top of the hill where I live I decided to give push-starting a try. It worked!

Since then I haven't had any problems starting. I got a multimeter and the battery tested fine at rest; running it only got up to about 13.2 volts, so I'm a little concerned about that--the manual says it should read 13.5–15. I got a battery tender but am not sure if it is worthwhile to use it as I ride the bike every day.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:12 AM   #8
alantf

Possible you couldn't start "after a couple of attempts" because you're a new rider. (and ran the battery flat, trying) Could be choke/no choke, throttle/no throttle, or any number of things. Shouldn't worry too much about the battery voltage until things start going bad all the time. Then it's time for a new battery. If it's been sitting idle for a long time, it's not done the battery a lot of good. Make sure you get some carb cleaner, and add it to the fuel. You should immediately notice the bike running smoother. :2tup: