Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 07-18-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Ninja Electric Bike

The overall weight and center of gravity height may not be much more than the original design. I doubt the stock suspension has to work harder than normal.

Don't know if an electric bicycle will go 60 mph but it sure feels like it when they pass me on the sidewalk. And they are too quiet. They need a flapper against the spokes to make noise.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #12
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

There are some electric bicycle kits out there than touch speeds in the 50s and 60s, but it's not sustainable.

When I rode my bike all the time, and didn't have a car, I did a lot of research into the electric bike and even the small two-stroke motorized bike movement. The price that you mentioned, Northside, is about right for the fastest of the bunch. There are more expensive ones, which use higher grade batteries and such. But their goal is longevity, not top speed.

At one point I even purchased an older Currie electrodrive kit (This was from before Currie stopped making add-on systems for bikes) It was a disappointment to me because the PO had mistreated the batteries and I wasn't about to fork over ANOTHER $100 or so for more batteries.

Anyway, I am kind of getting off topic. But to answer your question; Yes. You can get electric bike kits that will give you bursts of highway speed. But it won't last long, as you'd be draining the batteries incredibly quickly and you will only get that speed on very flat land. The better option would be to get a motor and controller that are just as strong, but tuned down for torque and distance. I don't need 60mph. If I could get a constant 20-25mph for a 30 miles range I would never have to drive a car again, unless I had the kids or something.

Speaking of, I bike commuted into work yesterday (for the first time in a long time) and my 5 year old sat in the bike trailer behind me, talking the whole way and telling me how much fun it was to feel the wind in his face. I couldn't respond all the time, because there were a couple of hills that wouldn't allow me to catch my breath. But it was an awesome experience for both of us.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:14 AM   #13
northsidegz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
And they are too quiet. They need a flapper against the spokes to make noise.
LOL. I do, in fact, have some baseball cards that just might do the trick. :2tup:

Old 07-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
And they are too quiet. They need a flapper against the spokes to make noise.
LOL. I do, in fact, have some baseball cards that just might do the trick. :2tup:
Baseball cards take me back a long way. Haven't seen one since I was knee high to a grasshopper.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #15
mrlmd1

This is the electric bike/scoot you would want. I hate to think about the price though.

http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-c-evolution-e ... ter/23498/

Old 07-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Pretty impressive machine by the 'B'ring 'M'y 'W'allet folks. Regenerative braking is an old idea put to use in a modern machine. Trolley buses had that 60+ years ago. Probably street cars long before that. On the bike it would help extend brake pad life as well as range.
I do think though that an electric vehicle is not the way to go without a lot of advancements. They are proven to leave a massive carbon footprint just in their manufacture and are limited by range. They are a lot of $ just for an urban runabout.
A big thumbs up to BMW but I'll stick with my precious fossil fuels and extended range.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #17
JWR

125 mph at this weeks race.
The race featured most of the top electric motorcycle teams from North America and Europe.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
northsidegz

Did you see the article for this one (from the link provided above)? Wow. Sweet.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by northsidegz
Did you see the article for this one (from the link provided above)? Wow. Sweet.

Not exactly a grocery getter. A good looking machine but highly impractical in my mind. Sure would impress the folks at the local coffee shop. No loud pipes either.............. :2tup: