Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
BillInGA

Atlanta to Denver

Well, today's the day. My bags are packed. The bike is loaded. Time to head West to Denver. My goal today is West Plains, MO. A pretty long ride, but it will help make day 3 a shorter ride.

I'll post updates (and some photos) along the way.

Cheers,

Bill

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Atlanta to Denver

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Have a good one Bill. Hopefully the weather and roads treat you well.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
Maggie

Have a safe and beautiful ride, Bill. Thank you for inspiring me with your Google map posted recently...I have started plotting a trip for Oregon. I have never taken a long trip yet. Can't wait to read about your progress.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:05 AM   #5
BillInGA

Hello all. Thanks for all the good wishes. My apologies for taking so long to post an update - I've been busy helping with the last-minute details of my parents' 50th anniversary party.

I arrived safely in Broomfield, CO Monday afternoon around 3:00 pm. Just shy of 1500 miles in three days. My itinerary was aggressive, to be sure, but the one factor that made the trip grueling was the heat. Temperatures around 100° and extremely high humidity on Saturday was brutal. Fortunately, I had arranged to meet up with a correspondent form the Vulcan500.com forum in Jonesboro, AR. I took an hour plus break in air conditioning which really helped me to make it to my first night's destination (West Plains, MO). I was downing a 16 oz Gatorade at each fuel stop and my 70 oz. CamelBak was empty by the end of the day.

Sunday was a pleasant ride up until Wichita, KS. I could see rain in the distance, so I donned my rain gear and secured for heavy weather. Riding in light to moderate rain was doable for me, but the torrential downpours I encountered were just too much. I pulled into a McDonald's, covered the bike and sought shelter until the rain passed. This was just west of Wichita. I had to do the same thing in Kingman. Leaving Kingman it had gotten dark and I didn't know if the thunderstorms had finally dissipated, so I kept the rain gear on until reaching Dodge City, KS very late.

After a short night and an early morning departure, Monday started out with beautiful weather. Temp around 70° and much lower humidity. By mid-morning the temperatures were reaching 90° and there was a very strong crosswind from the south. Most of the US and state highways were 4-lane roads - practically interstate freeways - until Colorado. There, US 287 turned into a 2-lane highway and the pressure wave from semis traveling the opposite direction was very unsettling. I managed to keep up a good pace across Colorado and arrived in Broomfield (northwest of Denver) on schedule.

Aside from cooler weather, the following things would have made the trip much more comfortable:
1) Backrest / Sissy Bar - my bag kept sliding backward to rest halfway on the rear fender. A sissy bar would prevent this and allow me to use the duffel as a back rest.
2) Throttle Lock - by the third day my wrist was getting pretty tired of holding the throttle open.
3) Seat Cusion - I'm going to take a serious look at the Airhawk
4) Floorboards - my ankles got a little tired hanging off the foot pegs.

I will be making additions 1, 2 and 3 before my ride back to Georgia, which will probably take place in September. Several friends and family have recommended that I wait until cooler weather to make the return trip. Facing another three days in brutal heat, plus forecast thunderstorms in the south on Wednesday next week make me inclined to agree with them. I'll be storing the Vulcan in my brother's airplane hangar and flying back to Georgia. In mid- to late-September I'll fly out to Colorado to complete the modifications to the bike and make the return ride to Georgia.

As for the bike itself, the Vulcan 500 performed flawlessly and I couldn't be happier with it. I'll certainly miss not being able to ride for 6 weeks.

This is a long post so far, so I'll save my other thoughts and observations about my journey for later.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
2) Throttle Lock - by the third day my wrist was getting pretty tired of holding the throttle open.

4) Floorboards - my ankles got a little tired hanging off the foot pegs.

I'll be storing the Vulcan in my brother's airplane hangar and flying back to Georgia.
2) Do consider the $5 throttle lock. It works good.

4) Did you try, or are you able, to fold your legs and hook your heels on the passenger pegs ??
Many riders find that a good stress reliever for leg and butt muscles.

If you are paying to fly commercial, have you considered renting a truck and taking the bike back that way ?? Might not be any more expensive than your plane flights.......and you wouldn't be "bikeless" for 6 weeks. Just a thought.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
BillInGA

I didn't try hooking my feet on the passenger pegs on this trip, although I've done it on the GZ250. Floorboards are the lowest priority and the most involved project, so that probably won't happen.

I'll be flying back to Georgia commercial, but my father works for an airline so I'll be able to use one of his buddy passes.

Also, my brother, Jim, really wants to do a cross-country motorcycle trip. He had a Suzuki S50 for a few years but sold when he bought his airplane. So we have formulated a plan: I'll fly commercial to Colorado in September. Jim will start driving the Vulcan and my dad and I will fly Jim's Mooney and we'll meet up at the end of each day (probably taking 4 days instead of 3). Then Jim and I can trade off legs on the motorcycle / airplane.

Once we reach Georgia, Jim and my dad will fly the Mooney back to Colorado.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #8
BillInGA

Some observations from my trip about other motorcyclists.

I saw a LOT of motorcycles on Saturday and Sunday. Not too surprising, given that it was the weekend. However, I was shocked by how many riders were not wearing full gear. I saw a total of three riders wearing the full kit: helmet, jacket, gloves, long pants and boots. Maybe a dozen were wearing jackets, although most were wearing helmets (in states that required them). I was getting gas in Eureka, KS and saw one guy pull up on his Harley Sportster wearing cut-off shorts, a tank top and flip-flops.

Most everyone was very friendly. Although there is apparently some question as to how far apart the lanes need to be before you stop waving. On divided highways waving was unpredictable - non-existent on the interstates.

Normally waves are done with the left hand, since the right is needed for the throttle. I had one guy wave with his right hand - I think he was showing off that he had cruise control or a throttle lock.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:08 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillInGA
Then Jim and I can trade off legs on the motorcycle / airplane.
OK, I was just jealous before; now I HATE you !! :biggrin:

Sounds like a MUCH better plan than a U-haul.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
dhgeyer

Sorry not to have "Seen you off", but I was out of town for 8 days - just got back yesterday. It wasn't a motorcycle trip. High school reunion, and series of side trips to connect with old friends. I didn't take my computer, and have been out of touch.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you made it OK, even if the weather wasn't kind to you. I like your plan for the return trip, even if it must be delayed. The way this Summer has been, unless something changes, the best riding will be in the Fall anyway.