Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
dhgeyer

Re: Toying with new bike idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
That and retrackable training wheels so I don't fall over at stops. Heh heh. However that test ride on a C-50 T(touring model)sure sounds tempting.
Have you thought of lowering the DL650? There are ways. If your back is anything like mine, you'd miss the Weestrom very quickly if you went to a mid size cruiser.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Quote:
That and retrackable training wheels so I don't fall over at stops. Heh heh. However that test ride on a C-50 T(touring model)sure sounds tempting.
Have you thought of lowering the DL650? There are ways. If your back is anything like mine, you'd miss the Weestrom very quickly if you went to a mid size cruiser.
DH, I actually had the WeeStrom lowered for a couple years but it did not handle as nice so I went back to the OEM links.
As for a cruiser being harder on the back I am aware of that fact. My biggest concern is hurting my back again picking the thing up when I do drop it. With a cruiser equiped with the right crash bars it is merely a small amount of effort to roll it right back up on it's wheels. Found this out(happily I'll add)with Lynda's M-50 and no damage at all.
I have lived with this bruised disc thing for 45 years and pretty much never do anything overly foolish. Having had a couple decent longer rides on the M I think the suspension is fair to midland if I avoid Alan's manhole covers.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

So this morning I was going to toss out the business cards from dealers I visited yesterday. Looked at the back of the card from the dealer who offered a test ride. Think I hate him now. Best price of the bunch and only $300 over the limit I set for myself if a purchase was made.
Canadian DOLLARS are a lot different than U.S. Dollars when buying a bike. So a 2010 Suzuki C-50 SE at $9300 is a pretty fair price. This is all in with taxes and all fees(PDI and set-up). I paid that for my WeeStrom 5 years ago. I really gotta get over this. Maybe training wheels on the 650.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #24
blaine

Quote:
So this morning I was going to toss out the business cards from dealers I visited yesterday. Looked at the back of the card from the dealer who offered a test ride. Think I hate him now. Best price of the bunch and only $300 over the limit I set for myself if a purchase was made.
Canadian DOLLARS are a lot different than U.S. Dollars when buying a bike. So a 2010 Suzuki C-50 SE at $9300 is a pretty fair price. This is all in with taxes and all fees(PDI and set-up). I paid that for my WeeStrom 5 years ago. I really gotta get over this. Maybe training wheels on the 650.
Better take that test ride. :poke2: :lol:

Old 08-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #25
Sarris

Hey WW, I say GO FOR IT.

What the hell, you only live once and you can't pack the cash in the box and take it with you when you're gone.

:lol: :biggrin: :poke2: :lol: :biggrin: :poke2:

Old 08-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
dhgeyer

Five years is longer than I've ever owned a bike. Not tellin' you what to do, just sayin'. You know - like Sarris says..... Just one lil' test ride, what can it hurt? :twisted:
Old 08-25-2010, 06:48 PM   #27
alanmcorcoran

Toying with new bike idea

It's just a test ride... Hell, you probably won't even like the bike...!! Btw: which bikes are best for backs going long distances?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #28
Water Warrior 2

Best bikes for backs would an adventure type bike. Like Vstroms, BMWs and the like. They usually have longer better suspension and you sit up with better posture.....and of course you can easily stand up while riding to stretch a bit.
Of course off road bikes have the plushiest suspenders. Some can be dialed in for rebound and compression at both ends for a real comfy ride anywhere.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Five years is longer than I've ever owned a bike. Not tellin' you what to do, just sayin'. You know - like Sarris says..... Just one lil' test ride, what can it hurt? :twisted:
Just heard today where a couple might be up for grabs a tiny bit cheaper than what I was quoted. May be time to unlimber the GPS and find this place after a rest ride.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:59 PM   #30
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Btw: which bikes are best for backs going long distances?
Depends on whose back it is. I can't stay on any cruiser for more than an hour or two without pain in the middle of my back. Feet and arms forward puts all the weight on the seat. I've tried changing seats, highway pegs, driver backrests, pullback risers - nothing worked for me. The position is just wrong. And the pain is cumulative over however many days I tour. So, I need my feet under me, knees bent, my body leaned just a little forward, arms bent a little and carrying a small amount of weight but not too much. What they used to call a "standard" bike. Not too many of them made anymore. The R1200R is one, the Kawasaki Versys is a new one. I think the Vstroms would qualify, along with a couple of other Suzukis, including the new TU250. The Honda Nighthawk series were standards, now discontinued except for the 250, which is terrible in virtually every respect. Some sportbikes are very close to the standard configuration - like the Ninja 250 and 500s. They worked for me very well.

I've talked to a number of people who have the same problem with cruisers, and a lot of people who don't. You have to find what works for you. If the Strat is comfortable for you for hours at a time, "If it ain't bust, don't fix it.".