Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
Graydog

Adding driving/highway lights

Has anyone added a light bar to the GeeZee? When in my beater I always notice bikes with driving lights more than single light bikes. So I usually put a light bar with driving lights on most bikes I've owned. I usually have this done at a shop/dealer. I just ride em. I don't understand how they work. But I am on a fixed income (or better near no income) now. Has anyone here done that with the GeeZee? What are the limits in watts? I see Rayzuki has double headlights on his. Looks good.

What are my options? I found a pair of lights that would look great on the thumper. Can it handle it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
There are very possible charging issues, and it might drain your battery a lot faster. This bike is almost tapped out electrically as it is.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

The GZ will not provide near enough power to run a couple extra driving lights that draw the typical 55 watts each. 35 watt bulbs would probably be a stretch. You are looking at a max of 50 watts for extra lights to be safe from battery discharge situations. Install a SilverStar bulb for better vision at night without increasing the load on the charging system. If you want lights just for cosmetic appearance and added visibility while dodging cages you have a few options available. I had(past tense) a couple Blazer lights on my Vstrom. They drew a total of 40 watts and had MR-11 halogen bulbs in Amber color. They were very conspicuous to oncoming traffic but did little for night riding. The added visibility was what I wanted and they served their purpose. I had them mounted on the forks to creat a triangle effect with the lights on. The GZ would/should not have a problem powering them. I managed to destroy one and removed the other. Installed it just below the headlight on Lynda's GZ and it adds a bit to visibility. Not a perfect place but was the seemingly logical place for one extra light. The aftermarket also has many LED lights that look good and will make you more visible. I do not know how well they would work for making the dark go away though.
Check out the Autolumination.Com website for electical options. They seem to have buckets of stuff that might work well with smaller charging systems on bikes. Their site has stuff I could never dream of on a good day.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The GZ will not provide near enough power to run a couple extra driving lights that draw the typical 55 watts each. 35 watt bulbs would probably be a stretch. You are looking at a max of 50 watts for extra lights to be safe from battery discharge situations. Install a SilverStar bulb for better vision at night without increasing the load on the charging system.
+1 .......yes, what he said!
Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
Graydog

Thanks guys. Don't ride at night anymore unless I just have too. Just want to be more visible to cars. Will go the LED route when I get ready.