Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
alazar14

Well I just failed my MFC lol

Sup guys,

Well I just failed my riding portion of MFC,

Got a 100% on the written portion,

on the 2 days on range I never once dropped the bike, skid, did the figure 8 just fine, and all. Then test day came, and I absolutely ????ed up AFTER the figure 8.

Doing about 18 MPH I was spose to simulate a quick lane change I made the mistake of braking as I was changing lanes and not after so I dropped the bike on its left side.

Everyone thought I was going to be hurt because the side of the bike got shredded it was quite the quick fall. Only thing really hurt was my pride, and my leather boots a bit.

One thing is for sure, I learned the value of solid leather gear. These leather pants and boots only got scratched up a bit nothing at all happen to my hands gloves didn't even get scratched up much, leather jacket got a little bit of a rash on one arm but its minor. Coach said I went down doing about 12-14mph. Slid on the black top about 3 feet.

Usually I succeed on my first attempt at everything I do. I got my BA in college without a problem working on my masters, I have a 3.5 GPA and am an honors student. So I assume this is just something that is not going to come natural to me.
Again only real thing that was hurt is my pride. I was one of the best students the entire time, never made any major mistake, was often used as the first to go because the coaches trusted I would do the run properly and I always did. What makes it even worse is I was the only one who failed, and the last one everyone expected to.

I assume god is warning me like my mother has many months now that motorcycling is dangerous and I shouldn't do it. I still love it and quite honestly a little part of me enjoyed taking that first fall. I actually liked it. Just not @ that moment and time. So I guess ill go back to my Camaro finish up the semester and continue to look at the bikes from the window of my car.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: Well I just failed my MFC lol

You may be able to retake the test during the next class. If not, sign up again and go back for some more lessons/practice, if this is what you want to do. Don't give up so easily, your motorcycle career isn't over yet.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
dannylightning

doesn't sound like he or she, witch ever it may be is planning on giving up. sorry to hear that you failed. what did they say or do about you trashing one of their bikes. i have always wondered what would happen if some one trashed one of their bikes.

stuff happens you know, next time you will get it i am sure. riding a motorcycle is not exactly as easy as it seems for some people, a lot of beginners drop bikes some times more than once. i almost dropped mine a few times during the first month i rode. i realized what i did wrong and learned not to do that again. like pulling up to the end of my drive way turning the bars all the way while still moving and jamming on my front break.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
alazar14

Well im busy with college I may try to pick it up again later on. I have 90 days to re-take the test. Maybe in the 2 weeks I have of winter brake I can make the time to do that. If they offer it at that point.

Otherwise Ill just wait until later on in life god willing. Who knows maybe its just one of his ways to tell me im ether not cut out for it or just not ready yet.

Coaches were more worried about me actually asked if I was hurt. kept checking my knee and upper body and stuff, I told em I was fine, they filled out a paper asking me what happened and If I was hurt. That's really all that happened. They let me walk out while everyone else was celebrating passing. It was more the shame and pride that was hurt the most today. Also the fact I skipped studying for a test to make time for the MFC so ill prob get my first C this semester for that.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #5
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by alazar14
Well im busy with college I may try to pick it up again later on. I have 90 days to re-take the test. Maybe in the 2 weeks I have of winter brake I can make the time to do that. If they offer it at that point.

Otherwise Ill just wait until later on in life god willing. Who knows maybe its just one of his ways to tell me im ether not cut out for it or just not ready yet.

Coaches were more worried about me actually asked if I was hurt. kept checking my knee and upper body and stuff, I told em I was fine, they filled out a paper asking me what happened and If I was hurt. That's really all that happened. They let me walk out while everyone else was celebrating passing. It was more the shame and pride that was hurt the most today. Also the fact I skipped studying for a test to make time for the MFC so ill prob get my first C this semester for that.

break

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Old 11-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
break
Nice. REALLY nice. :skull:
Old 11-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #7
dhgeyer

During my (VERY) brief career as an MSF Ridercoach (instructor) the same thing happened to one of our students. Young man, never had any trouble all the way through, model student, natural leader, crashed on the swerve exercise. Everyone was amazed - students and instructors. It was kind of heartbreaking for all of us. This guy was one of the few people in the class that I really felt comfortable about giving a license to. Unfortunately, dropping the bike in any way, form, or manner during the test is an automatic failure. No leeway.

Don't worry about the bike. If it's like all the other states, they're donated by the manufacturers/dealers. I never saw one that hadn't been dropped several times. A lot of them were missing mirrors, so you had to pretend to check a mirror that wasn't there on the lane change exercise. The MSF is a consortium of manufacturers/distributors with (imagine this, what an amazing coincidence) the same address, board of directors, and personel as the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) - the industry's trade group. The MSF has been criticized heavily by some for designing their Basic Rider Course with the intent of making sure as many people as possible get licenses (in most places passing the course is either how you get the motorcycle endorsement, or one way of doing it). It is exactly like putting a group consisting of Toyota, GM, Ford, and Chrysler etc. in charge of handing out drivers' licenses to teenagers. Yes, I know they are state programs, but they are heavily subsidized by the MSF, including the donation of all course materials, materials used to train the instructors, and the bikes are donated by the MIC members. So the states, with a couple of notable exceptions, teach what the MSF dictates, exactly the way the MSF dictates.

Anyway, I digress. I would strongly suggest that you retake the test ASAP. It's amazing how quickly you start to lose what they crammed into you in three days. The whole course is like cramming for an exam. You can pass an exam that way, but it's not the best way to learn the material. And don't beat yourself up too badly. It happens.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
JWR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
break
Nice. REALLY nice. :skull:

:??: :??:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 11-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Same thing happened in my class. There were two girls we were sure were going to fail (they had dropped bikes, couldn't shift, had trouble with the eight, etc.) but at least one of them passed. A guy that had a pretty serious Harley (and looked like a stereotypical badass biker) went down hard on the swerve after pretty much waltzing through the rest of the course.

He wasn't hurt badly, but, he didn't get up right away and he was limping pretty good when he got up. His brother was in the other class on the other side of the giant parking lot and he came to collect him. It was one of the sadder walks of shame I witnessed that year.

I had a similar slow speed version of this one about 800 miles in on the Strat - came around a corner in a parking lot at slow speed and a guy came whipping around another corner ahead of me, and I instinctively grabbed the brakes (and went right down.) Very minor damage to the bike in my case - the windshield, the floorboard and the brake lever took the impact and got some scratches. I managed to exit the bike before it hit and was unscathed.

I'm very careful with the brakes when I'm not going straight now!

They probably ought to stress what will happen if you use the brakes at the wrong time on that one a little more. I think in my case, they mentioned that it's best to brake before (as in "ideal") but not that it could really hurt if you brake during.

In any case, most of us, if not all of us on here, have had a kerfluffle or two (and quite a few have had much more than that.) Some of it is the learning curve, some of it is stupidity or over confidence, and sometimes it just ain't your day. If you enjoyed riding, it might premature to hang it up based on one mistake.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

So now you have a reason not to brake hard and swerve at the same time. Stuff happens. Retake the test soonest so you don't loose your edge. I took a riding course in 2007 after riding more years accident free than most of the students had birthdays. I was the only one to drop a bike. Luckily it wasn't during the test. I already had my license but felt lessons were a good thing. I had to unlearn a lot of bad habits that were waiting to take me down. Don't dwell on the failure, remember what you learned by falling. You will do just fine.