Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
alazar14

How much insurance do you pay?

So how much insurance do you guys pay for the GZ250. As Iv said before sometime in Jan I play to get a Virago 250 so I wan't to know the range or so of insurance for the 250 bikes.

Not just basic insurance though I want full theft protection.

(In the last month 4 motorcycles have been stolen from my college campus. Mostly 600 & 1100cc sports bikes but still one can never be to sure. If I am going to spend my savings of almost 3 years on this I better make sure its well protected. Id also like to know if its a ridiculous amount something like $500 a year would be insane for a $3000 motorcycle. If that was the case I would honestly rather not buy anything and just keep driving a car. I pay $600 a year for my 1996 Camaro full coverage been driving for 3 years no accidents.

I also want to know if you need to pay insurance if you just have the motorcycle sitting in your house. I know a lot of people don't ride their bikes all year long especially in the winter. It seems like a waist to have to pay insurance all year long if you don't plan to ride that long.

I plan to buy the bike in Jan-Feb but I probably won't actually ride it until May so I don't wan't to have to pay insurance for something I'm not going to use.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #2
mrlmd1

Re: How much insurance do you pay?

Get a big heavy cable lock and chain it through the rear wheel and frame if you park it on campus. The only way to steal it then is to pick it up and carry it away, which can be done by a few guys but isn't that easy to do in the daylight.
I think I pay about $380/yr. in Fl. for my S50 (805cc), and my GZ was only ? $175-180 if I remember correctly.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
alazar14

The way they stole my class mates Honda CBR1100 was in less than 30 min they hotwired it, cut the chain he had used to secure it to a post, and took off with it.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Get a bigger chain. Or a real heavy braided cable which is harder to cut. Park out in the open, Etc., etc., etc. If they want it bad enough they will get it. If the bike is real dirty and looks like an old POS, nobody will steal it. Leave a puddle of oil underneath (but don't ride over it when you leave to get it on the rear tire).
They also make alarms for bikes which may work if the thief doesn't know it's there, and also Lojacks for bikes, to try and get it back. Some older car alarms used to beep your pager (remember them?) - I don't know if any new alarms will call or text your cellphone. Just pay for the insurance for theft.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

I paid $300 year for liability only.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
dannylightning

120.00 a year for my volusia and 80.00 a year for my gz.. that was liability on both, probably should get full coverage tho.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning
120.00 a year for my volusia and 80.00 a year for my gz.. that was liability on both, probably should get full coverage tho.

Mine was 100 dollars a year the first year i had the GZ, and 80 dollars the second year. the Intruder is 120 dollars a year, these are all liability prices.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannylightning

Mine was 100 dollars a year the first year i had the GZ, and 80 dollars the second year. the Intruder is 120 dollars a year, these are all liability prices.

Try paying that every month. The U.S. probably has the lowest ins. rates in the world.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #9
music man

Yea but that is just for bare bones liability, all that will pay for is the damage to someone else's vehicle and keep me from getting a ticket for no insurance.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Yea but that is just for bare bones liability, all that will pay for is the damage to someone else's vehicle and keep me from getting a ticket for no insurance.

53.30 a month for bare bones liability/639.60 a year and another $325 yearly for private coverage which covers my bike for fire, thieft, vandalism, collision with a $500 or $1000 deductable. Can't remember the exact deductable. That is with a very clean driving record for at least 34 years.