Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-28-2007, 06:40 AM   #1
El Pirata

Drive train snatch

My bike has now got 6000 miles on the clock and has started to get very "snatchy". Chain tension is good, a small amount of backlash in the cush drive at the back wheel, ( probably to be expected ), but at the gearbox sprocket quite a lot of play, about one twelth of a turn looking at the flats on the retaining nut. How does this compare with your bikes guys and gals ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-28-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Badbob

Measure your chain as per the service manual. It should not be worn out but just to be sure I'd check it.

Look real close at your sprocket teeth. If they are badly worn it might do this.

Another thing I would check is how much chain slack there is at different points. It should be pretty close to the same all the way around.

You might also check that the chain and both sprockets are aligned. I don't know if this will cause this problem but it might. Some of the bikes have alignment marks that are incorrect.

All of these things I have had some personal experience with. There might be something else that would cause this.

Does the sprocket move on the shaft? I don't think it is supposed to do that.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

El Pirata, you have me a little confused with your post. Are you getting a twelfth of a turn(30 degress) on the countershaft sprocket by taking up the slack in the chain ?? OR are you getting that 30 degress on the sprocket taking up slack in the tranny ?? OR a combo of both ?? The owners manual calls for 5~15 mm. slack in the chain. If you have more that might be a source of the problem.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:59 AM   #4
El Pirata

Drive train snatch

Sorry if my original description of the problem was a bit confusing. Essentially, if I put the bike in first gear, without the motor running and gently move the bike backwards and forwards a lot of backlash can be seen at the gearbox sprocket. Nothing to do with any chain maladjustment. Done very carefully movement of the piston through the drive train can be avoided so the play must be the sprocket attachment to the countershaft, or somewhere in the drive train prior to that point. I am not really asking for a solution to this but would like to know how this compares to your bikes before I go back to the dealer and make a warranty claim, if indeed there is a problem. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I get what I consider excessive "roll" when the bike is in first gear and not cranked.

Is that what you are talking about?
That phantom break in the gearing where the bike can roll forward when in gear?

It's always been there for me. If we are talking about the same thing, I've had this phantom roll on all of my bikes. The Gz has it the worst though.

Old 12-05-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
El Pirata

Hi Jonathan, thats exactly what I am describing, maybe it is something we have to live with on these bikes.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

When I park the bike, I just mkae sure to roll it all the way to the end of what I described as the "phantom roll". Once you hit the stop, flop the kickstand out. That way, you'll know that the bike can't roll anymore. This is especailly helpful is you park on a hill.