Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 02-21-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Log your rides

Update in this thread after you ride. You can elaborate however you see fit, but distance, duration and any mentionable events are also good fodder for discussion. Pics and videos are most certainly welcome, as are links to other ride reports or logs (yes, even to other sites!).

It doesn't have to be in a story format, or a list or anything at all. Not even on a specific bike. Just log how you're spending your life on 2 wheels...or even sometimes 1 wheel...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-21-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Re: Log your rides

I'll start.

Today (02/20/2010) I rode about an hour and a half on the SV650 putting about 80 miles in the seat. Mostly interstate, but there were some side roads and a couple of distraction rides to get some pics. I rode down our main artery from the north side of Tulsa (Owasso) to the south side (to Broken Arrow).

The weather was about 45 degrees out and it was foggy with a heavy mist and some slight rain. It wasn't uncomfortable in my FG Ranier jacket and long-johns under my jeans, but it was definitely muddy on the roads due to the excessive sanding and salting they do around here in winter.

The ride was to get a few pictures for a scavenger hunt TAG-type game I participate in on a local motorcycle board here in Tulsa. Pictures of your bike in front of interesting things, and the others have to duplicate it. etc. etc.

No notable interactions except with a little girl looking at me through the back window of her mom's car at a stop light. She waved real big side to side, so I waved real big back (up/down) and she got super excited. She turned around and immediately told her mom in the front exactly what happened, mimicking the hand gestures and everything. It was funny and kinda heartwarming. ( :puke: )

I road for about 3 hours on Sunday as well, picking up I think my favorite of the pictures of this SV so far:

Let's keep this going. Try and get at least a few regulars riding and posting a log of your ride, even the most mundane details help fuel the fire.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I went by Hahm Motorsports today in Anaheim to pick up the replacement part for my Strat front blinker lens. No photos (shoulda taken one) but I found the place to be mostly closed. The main building has had the bike dealership names (Suzi, Yama, Kawa, Honda) stripped off and they have retreated to a much smaller former parts and service building. I didn't see any new bikes for sale in the parts building. They used to have over 1000 bikes on their showroom floor.

My impression of the place from five or six visits (I almost bought my Strat there - it was there I first saw a 2007 "new" one) was that they were, like many motorcycle dealerships, a mixed bag of short timers and lackadaisical management. I've done business now with four dealerships, Mission Motorsports, San Juan Capistrano Power or Performance Something or Other, Corona Motorsports (?) and Hahm. Mission is probably the most professionally run of the four, but I've encountered questionable employees at all of them. Having worked in the auto dealer industry, I am aware that dealerships do not necessarily represent the "best and the brightest" (and most ethical) of America, but I get a sense that many Motorcycle dealer employees feel that we're all kind of anti-establishment "buddies" and we'll understand if they don't really give a shit. I've generally found the parts guys to be the most helpful, but mostly it's a matter of me telling them specifically what I want, them taking my credit card, and then calling me when it's arrived. Most of the "advice" I've gotten has either been words of wisdom from Dr. Obvious or, the old stand by "If we have it it will be out on the shelves somewhere..." Thanks!

Hahm was the place that reneged on their verbal comittment to sell me the Strat for 12K out the door. ("Made a mistake.") Mission did meet the 12K OTD price.

Given the poopy state of the economy and the reluctance of average Joes to take on debt, especially for non-essentials, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more of the marginal operators disappear over the next year.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:15 AM   #4
Maggie

Nice shot with the checkered wall. I was hoping to take a nice 40 mile ride tomorrow, but rain is in the forecast. Will post when the sun comes back.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
MLGTIB

I went for a ride on Saturday 2/20/2010. I took Topanga Canyon down to PCH, and then to the Santa Monica Pier. I then did a U turn and went back the way I came. There where some really dark clouds and did not feel like riding through them, that's why i went back the same route. All in all i rode about 45 miles in about 1 hour. Had a great time. Can't wait to hit the rode again.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Excellent idea Patrick. Right now the only riding I get is through the forums. I will be waiting for the Olympics, ParaOlympics to end and then waiting for the road to be rideable. I did try for a ride last week but was very uneasy with the road mods for Olympic traffic flow. It is meant for cars and buses but not bikes. If the weather stayed warm enough to keep my hands warm this would be an ideal time for minor bike maintenance and such.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #7
patrick_777

It rained heavily all day long, but during a break (cold out though), I put both the Ninja and the Shadow around the neighborhood a couple of times each. I'm letting the GZ sit winterized right now. I didn't want to break down the stabilizer in it until I'm certain I can get a few miles on it every week or so.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #8
BusyWeb

I really like your bike's color...
My next bike color must go to Yellow.
Thanks for the nice photos.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:18 PM   #9
patrick_777

Rode for about 20 minutes today on the SV. It was cold, but not blisteringly. I just picked up a new GoPro HD Motorsports HERO camera so I wanted to test a mounting position and do a video to see if there was any stability or vibration issues. Fortunately, it looks pretty decent. I have to transfer and edit the video, then I'll post it. It's nothing special though.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Rode for about 20 minutes today on the SV. It was cold, but not blisteringly. I just picked up a new GoPro HD Motorsports HERO camera so I wanted to test a mounting position and do a video to see if there was any stability or vibration issues. Fortunately, it looks pretty decent. I have to transfer and edit the video, then I'll post it. It's nothing special though.
Can't wait the video result..
I also look forward to have one of those camera.
Only worry about it is that doesn't have preview lcd screen,
but it has many mounting options that I want to have.. ha ha ha