Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 02-27-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Just a reminder

Just a reminder for those of us getting ready for spring riding. Winter drivers have mostly forgotten to be on the outlook for anything smaller than a car. We are much smaller than a car and really must play our A game to avoid becoming road kill.

Stop and yield signs are just a suggestion to some drivers at the best of times. We are smaller moving targets that are hard to see at times. Use your hi-beam on the GZ during the day. Low-beam is as good as a candle to oncoming traffic.
And wear bright colors if you have them. A safety vest is good insurance. Make a spectacle of yourself.

Find a vacant parking area to practice your skills and sharpen your reflexes. Make sure the bike is 100% functional too. All lights should work and adjustments should be made before hitting the road. Tire PSI will be down after a winter of sitting idle.

Many roads will have winter sand and mung on them. Watch for it especially on corners and curves.

Am I anxious to get out and ride? Sort of kinda thing. Still too cool for me but not for some others living here in the Great White North. I can wait till temps get better and I won't need too many layers of gear.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Good advice WW2. You riders that live in the cold climate areas can get a little rusty as far as defensive driving and the road conditions can be marginal after the snow leaves making it hazardous for us 2 wheelers. Be careful and ride safe. Also remember ATGATT.
Old 02-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #3
alantf

sorry, but I just can't agree with using hi-beam. It hurts my eyes when I look at them, so I have to turn my head away. Seems to beat the object of the exercise.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:21 AM   #4
blaine

I always use Hi-beam in day time.......I always look away from headlight/driving lights.....Espessaly now with the brighter LED's.....Some people look & focus on the lights......a no -no........They will blind you & disorenent you

Old 02-28-2018, 10:09 AM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
sorry, but I just can't agree with using hi-beam. It hurts my eyes when I look at them, so I have to turn my head away. Seems to beat the object of the exercise.
Alan, in a sea of vehicles with daytime running lights the GZ is pretty much nonexistent to the human eye. I didn't realize how bad it was until one afternoon Lynda was out for a ride and I wasn't able to see her until she was up close and nearly personal in oncoming traffic.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

I never ride with my headlight on anything but the high beam. We do get lost in the sea of 4 wheelers and anything that draws attention to me is a good thing.