Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #21
dhgeyer

Re: Greetings from Lake Placid, NY!

I think you'd have to fabricate it yourself. Many years ago, a friend of mine, who was intensely into bird photography, had an actual small telescope rigged to his 35mm camera. He had a lot of trouble holding it steady. So he rigged up a rifle-like stock to hold it, with a cable release modified and fitted to a trigger. It worked very well for him. No reason you couldn't build such a rig, pistol flavor, for a small digital camera. The only catch is that they don't have threaded holes for cable releases anymore, so you'd need one with a remote, or you'd have to rig something to trigger the shutter release. I've never seen anything like what you describe, so I'm pretty sure you'd have to build it.

Just don't aim it at any cops, gang bangers, or militia types.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #22
alanmcorcoran

I've seen various helmet cams or helmet mounts. In addition to looking pricey and having tiny lenses, I couldn't tell exactly how you fire off the picture. They might be mostly for video which I haven't really bothered with much as yet. A tongue or tooth fired shutter would allow you to maintain two hands on the bars, but I'm guessing that's too weird for even gadget freaks.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

I have actually taken pics holding a camera but it isn't the safest way to ride. I did have an open tank bag for the camera but in any emergency I would have just dropped it to fend for itself. A camera mounted on the bike has to be isolated from vibration and anything airborne. Neither one of my 2 EL Cheapo digitals is meant for service on a bike with the Fuji A180 being the only one capable of actually doing a video with any clarity.
The one thing to keep in mind is you really need gloves that allow a large degree of tactile feel for your fingers. Without that all bets are off for any moving photography. Luckily I have a pair of Red Wing gauntlets that are my favorite because of that and the comfort factor is the best to date.

Login or Register to Remove Ads