Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Farmer Boy's: Hemet, CA

Latest in a series of Socal tours.

The first Farmer Boys restaurant opened in Perris, California in 1981. By 1997, they had grown to eight restaurants, all in Southern California and the founders franchised their Fresh Burger concept. Today there are over 60, all still in Southern California. Today, we pay a visit to the one in Hemet.

[pbss:1yqcckjt]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/farmerboy/?action=view&current=e0a6264b.pbw[/pbss:1yqcckjt]

This was my longest trip to date. 110 miles round trip. In addition to the distance, I passed a couple of other personal milestones: took the GZ on the freeway for the first time, and broke 70mph briefly on a slight downhill out on the backroads.

The ride out began with the freeway. Moedad did an excellent job previously of explaining why the GZ is no good for the freeway. To summarize, the grooved pavement gives you a "fine" wheel wiggle, the road scallops give you a moderate wheel waggle and the wind pretty much blows you all around. Add the difficulty of maintaining anything close to CA freeway speeds, and you've got yourself a buffeted wiggle-waggle that is constantly being near side-swiped by the traffic. Fortunately, I only had to do 3.4 miles of it (each way) on my route.

There's a bit of city driving through Corona, but soon you head into the back country and there is a 30 mile stretch of Cajalco/Ramona "expressway." This is a really excellent motorcycle riding road. Most of it is well paved, there's some twisty, but it's not crazy, and there is a lot of lightly travelled, smooth back road where you have a nice view of Lakes Matthews and Perris (and can get a little aggressive with the throttle.)

I think I had a slight tailwind on the way out, I was able to sustain 65 plus for long stretches. I found that the difference between 55 and 65 is all body position. If I tucked in my knees and elbows and put my chin right on the speedo, I immediately sped up ten miles an hour. Hit over 70 down the backside of one of the hills.

I have a Farmer Boys near my office in Anaheim, and I'd never seen a second one until today. The Hemet one is bigger, better staffed and a lot newer than the one on La Palma. Had a dog, fries and a Dew before I headed back. Left at about 11:45 and was back by 3pm.

I was a lot more comfortable at 50 plus on this trip (well, everywhere but the freeway.) On the backroads I was very focused on keeping my eyes ahead on the horizon and doing the outside/inside/outside on the curves. No major eff-up this trip. I did leave my blinker on a bit too long a few times, and had a few shifting incidents, but overall it was pretty routine. Ass got a little numb, stood up at a few of the intersections to get some relief, but it's nowhere near as uncomfortable as riding a bicycle (which I have done along this same route.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Sarris

Re: Farmer Boy's: Hemet, CA

Looks like a great ride Alan. That grooved pavement can really get your attention. In Floriduh, we have draw bridges that have a metal grate for the moveable section that really will scare the crap out of you as well.

I leave my blinker on sometimes as well, mostly because my HD has auto-cancel blinkers and, well.... I'm starting have some of those, I hate to say, senior moments. The worst part about leaving the blinker on is that someone may turn in front of you thinking you are going to turn. Do your best (as will I) to turn them off so you won't send the wrong "signal" to the othe drivers.

At about 100 miles you do become very intimate with the seams in your underwear, so I'm working another angle to get us all a reprieve from the shitty seat. More to come.........

By the way, when are you going to get a windshield??

:wow:
Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

I've been giving the windshield some thought. If they were the sort of thing I could just buy on impulse, I'd a probably had two or more by now. But I'm concerned about my ability to put one on without effing something else up and the dealer's don't stock them, so it's all generally a giant pain in the ass - exactly the sort of thing I bought the bike to forget about.

I have sort of semi working plan that involves getting a bigger bike once I hit 3000 miles on the GZ. (Does your Harley do better on the grooves or the grates? I've seen bigger wheels and tires on most other bikes, I'm hoping they remove the "holy christ, I have zero control" feeling that is endemic to freeway riding with the GZ.) So part of my procrastination justification is that I might not be riding this one that long. However, on this trip I had pretty damn good time on the backroads, small bike and all, and, for the first time, I could see taking it on a long trip. Finally getting it up to 70 without divine intervention gave me the ability to keep up with the cars. At the same time, I think I pretty much have ruled it out for the freeway except for "emergencies."

Be interested in other California riders with bigger bikes on the freeway. The scallopy thing and the grooves don't cover 100% of the freeway, but almost. When you hit a stretch that is smooth, it's almost doable. But those are few and far between. I did not enjoy my freeway miles in the least.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
Jer

Great pics.

Nice ride.

Well done Alan.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Jer

P.S. If you buy a windshield, and upgrade your bike at the 3k mark I'll buy the windshield off ya for what you paid if you ship it to me.

(Assuming we're talking $50-60 like the links Sarris posted)

Old 09-13-2008, 09:55 PM   #6
Sarris

Alan, here is the windshield I have on my GZ. I ordered a 17" tinted for the Savage 650. It's expensive, but a really good solid fork mounted windshield. Nothing to screw up here.

http://www.motorcyclewindshield.com/...windshield.htm

Actually, the grooves and grates suck no matter what bike you ride. I also would not advise you to buy a HD as an upgrade bike with only 3000 miles under your belt, but maybe something like a Suzuki Boulevard S40 (aka Savage 650) or S50 (aka Intruder 800), a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 or their 500 LTD. Yamaha's V-Star 650 would also be a fine choice. All are cruiser type bikes that have the "big" bike look. After you rack up a year or so of ownership, and perhaps 10k miles, and if you feel confident enough then, you could start looking at a larger model Harley, Kawi, Suzi, Yamaha, etc. I would not suggest going really big for your second bike, but give yourself an intermediate step. Intermediates have a much better and heavier road feel at interstate speeds for moderate trips too. Plus all the above mentioned have enough accessories and assorted chrome shit to satisfy the most ardent Chromosexual and basically break the bank.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Jer,

If I buy one (a windshield) and then for some reason I don't need it, I'd be happy to send it to you, gratis. More than likely, I'll keep the GZ even if I do get something big. It's a good commuting bike and my daughter has been kind of eyeing it up.

Thanks for offering to take it off my hands though.

-Alan.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Jer

No prob. Just an idea.

Not sure on the higher end ones. If I got one it'd be the cheaper route. I dont do much 50mph plus yet.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:05 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Sarris,

I haven't started seriously shopping yet, I'm still getting comfortable with the whole motorcycle thing. But I got started with this to do tours and that will affect what I end up with. I understand you can tour with a 750 or so, but it's a way off.

I'm only at about 850 miles right now.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #10
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I've been giving the windshield some thought. If they were the sort of thing I could just buy on impulse, I'd a probably had two or more by now. But I'm concerned about my ability to put one on without effing something else up and the dealer's don't stock them, so it's all generally a giant pain in the ass - exactly the sort of thing I bought the bike to forget about.
Hi, Alan.
Here is the windshield that I got and assembled myself in 10 minutes, and it can be removed very easily when it does not needed.
If you want to keep GZ for a long time (more than 3000 miles), consider to have one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spitfire ... 0251653450

By the way, congrats your today's riding. Freeway ..... and 70 mph. :2tup:
I also got just little bit more speed on today's trip, congrats me too. :whistle: