Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 08-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #21
3-D Video

Re: California Camp Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Here are some things that really performed well for me:

3) Mountain Hardware ultramariner? sleeping bag. light, warm, a little too short - go for the long if you get one and you are over 5'10".
If you've got the bucks, you can't beat these bags :drool:
'Till recently they were custom tailored. Maybe still can be?
http://warmlite.com/sleeping-bags/bag-technical

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #22
alanmcorcoran

Looks like a cool bag, but perhaps a bit more than I need on the bike. Mine weighs only 31 ounces and when stuffed occupies 6.5 x 12 inches. (it is actually called an ultralamina, not mariner.) Check it out here: http://www.rei.com/product/747873
Old 08-23-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
3-D Video

Quote:
Mine weighs only 31 ounces and when stuffed occupies 6.5 x 12 inches.
Looks good. Small, light… and I like that the fill will dry fairly quickly.
My Eddie Bauer bag is pretty heavy, and over 50 years old. But, it's good on the glaciers :2tup:
When traveling light I use a tube tent, hammock, some cord, and an emergency blanket.
It's interesting how broad the range of definition can be for what "camping" means to any one person

Old 08-23-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
alanmcorcoran

I have a (faded) blue wool Eddie Bauer overshirt I use as a camping jacket that I "borrowed" from a college roommate in 1977. Still going strong (all the original buttons remain firmly attached!) and went on this latest trip. Proves you can make stuff that lasts if you want to.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:00 AM   #25
BusyWeb

Wow riding, Mr. Alan.
I missed forum couple of weeks for my other bike projects, and just see this today.
Looks like you had a very happy touring, and successful riding without bad memories...
Ha ha ha, what I remember on those long riding, so many bad riding experiences... (not much prearead for weather or time schedules, kind of things)
And very nice photos, thanks for the sharing.

Old 08-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #26
alanmcorcoran

Thanks Busy. I did have a pretty good week, but sometimes the crappy stuff makes the ride all the more memorable (and more interesting to others!) I always feel like, on my other trips at least, I was going over ground you already covered - hopefully I hit some stuff that you haven't already seen on this one. After my Illinois run on saturday, I think we should be very grateful for the variety of MC roads we have right in our backyard.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #27
BusyWeb

Quote:
Thanks Busy. I did have a pretty good week, but sometimes the crappy stuff makes the ride all the more memorable (and more interesting to others!) I always feel like, on my other trips at least, I was going over ground you already covered - hopefully I hit some stuff that you haven't already seen on this one. After my Illinois run on saturday, I think we should be very grateful for the variety of MC roads we have right in our backyard.
Even though I have not been on the other states roads many times, I always feel; when riding the bike on the roads, that California roads are for the motorcyclists...not for the Driving... ha ha ha
Many different options, long highway for crusing, many mountain/valley twisties, even found recently many nice easy dirt roads, extreme desert roads, and you may add others...
Thanks that, I live in here as one of the motorcyclist.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, the locals here are telling me I have to go 200 miles north to find some decent riding. Long way to go. At home, I can get to decent canyon twisties in about 15 minutes and bike-magazine worthy roads in less than an hour. I am starting to think of my Illinois run as The Appreciation Ride. Afterwards, I appreciated:

1) My seat on the Strat.
2) The Roads in California. There's no mountains here and apparently no need for the roads to bend.
3) My Helmet (the one I got with the rental left a red band of pain right across my hairline - eventually I abandoned it and went cross-town Chicago helmetless.)
4) Mesh Jacket. (Gets pretty hot here... and it ain't a dry heat.)
5) My windshield. Actually the wind didn't bother me too much, but the bugs were like rain at points.
6) CA speed limits. Lot of 50... then 45... then 35... then 20...(!) here. And saw a fair share o' bear.
7) Starbucks. Not as popular out in the IL countryside as on the left coast.
8) Did I mention my seat? Long, long day for my ass on the Honda saddle.

I may give it another shot in a week and a half, but I'm debating the value of going four hours plus to get to "The good stuff" And I won't do it on a 750 or without my own helmet.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:58 PM   #29
Water Warrior 2

Alan you really must aim the Strat for Washington and British Columbia. Nice roads, great scenery, fine folks and StarBucks of course. Find a wandering path to Grande Coulee Dam in Wash. You will absolutely love the area. Mount Baker is another great destination.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
alanmcorcoran

California Camp Trip

Ww, years ago I went up the oregon coast from eureka to coos bay? Dunes, rogue river, Portland sea-tac needle and best of all: mt st Helens. Was good stuff but was in a tiny toyota rv. it's all different on a bike so I gotta do it again. Also have driven a econobox from anchorage to Fairbanks - another potential ride. Most of my time driving in bc I think I was stuck in some bridge traffic. Nice and green though.