Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: Denver to Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
airhawk seat thingie. I am interested in fatigue reducing farkles.
The Airhawk is like an air mattress.....only an air seat cushion. The original had NO straps to attach it to the seat; a major flaw in my book so I never considered it seriously BUT............
I have seen a LOT of good reports on it and it seems like the new ones have something to attach so I may look into it again next spring.

Can't imagine how it would be that much different than the gel pad I have now.......but my "imagination" has been known to fail me at times.

I'm sure a web search would turn up all kinds of information.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Gel seats or gel pads are great but a couple points to remember. They are hot when parked in the sun. You need a sheep skin or other sort of cover or you will burn off your buns pronto. Gel pads will add about an inch of height to the seat so don't be surprised if your legs are just a bit shorter than before.
Old 11-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
IceBreaker

Hey.....BillInGA......we hope you are back safe in GA! Anyone heard from Bill after his trip from Denver to Atlanta?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:28 PM   #14
BillInGA

Wow, where has the time gone? I can't believe it's been almost six months since I finished up the Denver - Atlanta adventure.

My apologies for dropping off the radar like that. As soon as I got back I was elbow deep in a huge 4th quarter project at work. After that, I was just out of the routine of getting on the boards.

So, here are some follow up responses to the previous posts.

The Airhawk is different from a gel pad in that it creates no pressure points. It consists of multiple interconnected air chambers that automatically equalized the pressure across your entire seating area. To easy's point, I use the straps, but they're really not necessary for riding. The bottom of the cushion has plenty of friction to keep it from shifting. What the straps do is keep me from having to take the Airhawk with me whenever I stop.

I'm 47 and in reasonably good shape. I find that my ability to do long days is dependent on reducing fatigue as much as possible. 4 things that really make a difference for me are: 1) windshield; 2) earplugs or noise-attenuating earphones; 3) Airhawk; and 4) Throttle lock. I've done long rides on the GZ with none of these and my limit is about 200 miles. On my last leg returning to Georgia I did close to 600 - on the 3rd consecutive day of riding.

I really enjoyed getting into the rhythm of being on the road. Although I've been doing my weekend jaunts, I'm really looking forward to my next long trip. This one will be to El Paso, TX in mid-June for my 30th high school reunion. 1400 miles - I'm thinking about covering the distance in two days. Stay tuned...

Also, I'll post some photos of my seat pad and other mods presently.

Cheers,
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Almost a 600 mile day. Wow ! Anything is possible on a GZ by the sounds of it. Good to know you eliminated the 4 most fatiguing factors in riding.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #16
BillInGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Almost a 600 mile day. Wow ! Anything is possible on a GZ by the sounds of it. Good to know you eliminated the 4 most fatiguing factors in riding.
Actually, I was on my 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. The GZ is a great bike for secondary roads, but I won't ride at highway speeds for more that a few miles. At highway speeds the GZ is at it's performance limit with no reserve power.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
alanmcorcoran

I found I can do a lot more miles if my final destination is my house and I don't have riding plans for the next day.

I keep thinking about getting a mustang seat for the strat, but the price and the uncertainty that it is that much bett than the stock seat has prevented me from taking the leap. If you get the seat and the pillion combo, I think it's seven or eight hundred bucks. Haven't done any serious mileage since last October, but we're in DST now and, I should be getting started with some trips soon.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

Alan, if memory serves me correctly you are somewhere near Russell Day Long seats in California. Maybe do a bit of research and see if you can do a ride in for a new seat. They will match the seat to your own body size shape height etc. Looking is free and it can't hurt.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #19
burkbuilds

Bill, it's good to have you back on the forum. 600 miles in a day, wow, I am impressed.

Alan, I second WW's idea on checking out Russel's place. If I were anywhere near there I think I would have gone that route if I had the money. If you make an appointment, they will let you drive in and fit and build the seat the same day if I remember their adds correctly. I've heard a lot of riders comment on how comfortable their seats are and they look really good too.

Yep, found it:
One-Day Ride-In Service
Bring yourselves and your motorcycle to our shop, and we'll build and install your "Day-Long" Saddle all in one day. This arrangement is strictly by appointment, and there is an extra charge (see Prices). This process allows you to test sit the seat for comfort and make adjustments as needed before the seat goes to the covering department. Appointments are accepted for Tuesday through Friday only.

The openings are limited and fill up quickly in the spring and summer months, so please call early if you want an appointment. Campgrounds and motels are available close by. We are located at 800 feet, so winter weather is not a factor.

If you are planning for a Ride-In Service option, please download and read our instructions (PDF), to help prepare you for the service and to facilitate your seat order. Download Instructions>>
http://www.day-long.com/index.html
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #20
alanmcorcoran

Denver to Atlanta

Thanks for info guys. Ww you might be closer - its a mere 670 mile ride for me - one way! Also they use your seat and do not have any seats in stock so... Not sure what going there would accomplish. Please keep me apprised on how your Corbin works out. I still am gun shy on price and uncertainty and will likely do nothing in the interim.