Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
Canuck

Startup Electrical Problems

When i go to start the GZ it has no problem starting.. but lets say if i leave it on choke and running .. I give it a few moments to get abit warm.. bring the choke down so its not revving and angry sounding and go in the house if i forget my gloves..
this has happened twice now. I come out and if it has mis fired and stalled and i go to start it up the battery is dead and it doesnt have enough juice to fire back up..
so i put it on the trickle charger and its fine.. only if i warm it up properly and go for a ride

I know how to start my bike its just sometimes if i leave it on choke unattended for less then 2 mins and come back and it has mis fired it has no juice to start up again ?

Doctors? Prognosis please? lol

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Canuck

Re: Startup Electrical Problems

is the starter messed up ?
battery dying?
alternator toast?
Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
is the starter messed up ?
battery dying?
alternator toast?
I would guess your battery is going south.You need to get it tested & go from there. :cool:

Old 03-10-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Canuck you have just told us the problem and solution. Do not leave the bike unattended for any reason short of a nearby fire, explosion or gun fire. Lynda's bike did the same thing a couple times as it was warming up for a ride. You have to be there to gradually reduce the choke setting or the engine will shut down due to a strange fuel mixture, rpm and engine temp combo.
Maybe it's a west coast thing ! :lol:
Old 03-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #5
Canuck

Yeah good call warrior,

I guess after the 5 years ive gotten cocky and fallen into bad habits lol..

Still i am looking for an answer fellas lol.. i was thinking battery as well.. Ill get it tested and report back,

Also the starter has been having issues.. or maybe its the battery causing the issues??

I have intermittent signaling.. most times it works other times when i hit the right blinker or left sometimes i get no signaling.

Also i have had problems where when i hit the ignition NOTHING happens.. before it would click.. i would put it in 1st gear and attempt to push start it.. then it would fire up.. someone once said im moving the brushes inside the starter and its a sign the starter is on its way out. but now it is not making a sound at times.

similar to whacking a truck/car starter with a hammer in its final stages of life to get it off the road and back to the garage to replace VS paying for the tow.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
alanmcorcoran

I think you are simply taking it off the choke too soon. Until the bike warms up and some gas flows through the carb, the bike does not idle uniformly. It wanders around a bit. This clears up once it's warm (at about 5 minutes or so, maybe a little more.) If you take the choke off too soon, it will *seem* like it's idling smoothly, but then it will drift lower and stall out. Then you 've left your headlight on and you are draining your battery. If your battery is weak, leaving the headlight on will drain it pretty quick.

Re the signaling - I have the same problem. Mine was broken when it was delivered new, and the dealer "fixed" it. But on occasion they just don't work. It's been intermittent for about a year now, but they mostly do work so I haven't dealt with it. I suspect corroded contacts, probably from shipping sea salt. They probably cleaned them up when I brought it in, but corrosion always comes back.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck
someone once said im moving the brushes inside the starter and its a sign the starter is on its way out.
Before I got the geezer, I had a very old Peugeot scooter. Always started up fine, until one day - zilch. Took it to the shop, & it was the brushes in the starter. Cheap repair. Goes to show that the brushes can go suddenly.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
mrlmd1

This bike has a puny charging system. At idle speed you are not charging the battery, even replacing what you took out of it to start the bike. You have to ride it, or get it up to 2500-3000 rpms to get any significant juice out of the alternator. You need to charge your battery, it sounds to me like it's "weak". You get it tested with a load tester after it's fully charged, otherwise, for sure, you will be told you need a new one. And don't forget, if you do buy a new battery, YOU MUST FULLY CHARGE IT BEFORE FIRST USE or it will soon crap out and not hold it's charge, as I rant on here all the time.
I would bet that if you just charge up your battery you'll be fine, And the best way to warm up the bike is to start it with however much choke you need, and then ride it moderately down the street, slowly turn the choke down and off over a min or two and that's it. My bike was fully warmed up with the choke off within maybe 1/4-1/2 mile of riding, as was my Ninja 250, my TW200, and my Suzuki S50. It's not a good idea to leave it sitting at idle until you think it's fully warmed up.
Your discharged battery even tells you this. Start it and then ride, don't let it sit.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
alantf

Just a thought - You do know that Suzuki recommend an idle speed of 1200 to 1400 RPM? (that's when it's warmed up)
Old 03-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Electrical gremlins and living on the island is a given. I would start with contact cleaner in all the switches. Pull out the signal bulbs and check for corrosion. Brake light too for that matter. A little dielectric grease would be a bonus when reassembling.