Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 09-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #1
mr. softie

One Piece Suit

I just plunked down $186.70 for a Fieldsheer Highland II One-Piece Suit at Bike Bandit. ($178.75+$7.95 shipping). After researching this and other suits like the Olympia Phantom and the 'Stitch and looking at my meager bank account I settled on this suit. They were selling this suit for $221+shipping till today... glad I waited.
:whistle: I leave for work at 6am many mornings so I need something warm. That plus we are entering the rainy season. Once I get the suit and ride in it for a while I will post a review. Just wanted to alert anyone who might be interested about the deal.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-08-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
mr. softie

Re: One Piece Suit

Ok, here is my take on this suit... I really like it ALOT! I have been wearing it on my ride to work and back for about a week now. I plan to commute to work on my GZ all winter here (about 35 miles north of Philadelphia) and this suit will allow me to do that. BTW I ride with a full windshield and have Nordic blood...

Took a 400 mile ride this Monday. Temp was 40 degrees when I left my house. wore a dress shirt and khakis and no liner and was fine. 60 to 70 mph all the way to Annapolis where it was 80 degrees, still fine. I opened the chest and back vents and changed my gauntlet type waterproof Columbia gloves to my vented gloves, loosened up the sleeve velcro and the cuffs so air would blow in a bit. Very nice. The suit has a padded seat which helped in the comfort department as well.

I then rode further south on some pretty nice country roads for a while, stopped at my boat to do a little work on it and take care of some business at the Marina, and headed back up to Pennsy.
I made the 180 mile trip back in 3 hrs flat!

This suit has some very good armor IMHO. The shell seems to be very robust with ballistic cloth at all the "skid" areas. Seems very well put together. It weighs about 12 lbs but does not feel heavy when wearing it. The zippers work well and it takes about a half minute to put on or take off. Tons of pockets...10! Easy and quick to slip on and off is also very nice. Did I say I am happy with this suit?

This morning I had to go in to work at 6 am and my handlebar mounted thermometer read 36 degrees. I wore a tee shirt and light weight jeans under the suit. I did have the top liner in and was toasty. The collar is nicely padded and comes up high enough that my neck and head stay warm with my full face helmet. No wind gets in anywhere.

I have not ridden in the rain yet with this suit but will be reporting on that when it happens.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:10 AM   #3
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I've always been a little apprehensive about ordering a one-piece off the net. I might have to look for one at CycleGear or somewhere here since I'm picky about the fit-ness of gear. Glad to hear that it handles the cold well. I've been looking for something like this to replace the MotoBoss overpants I have. They are just too hard to put on over boots and the knee armour had to be removed because it ended up guarding my lower shins.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #4
mr. softie

The Fieldsheer sizing chart is pretty good. It is recommended to go up one size in the suit if you plan on wearing the liner much. I am 5' 10" and weigh 220lbs. I measure 47" chest 38" waist so I went up a size and got a 2XL. It fits very well. My inseam is 30" and the suit's is 33", so I had to hem the cuffs. The zippers end 4" above the cuffs so it wasn't a big deal, I just folded the "gaiters" up inside and put a few stitches in to hold them.

I wear heavy boots w/vibram soles and it is no problem at all to stick my right foot- boot and all -through the suit opening. The boot doesn't even touch the inside of the suit at all. The right leg zipper zips from the crotch down to the ankle. You don't have to do anything with your left leg/boot. The main zipper zips from the neck down to the left ankle. The knee armor is adjustable in four positions. I had to move it up to second highest position. I don't notice any of the armor while riding, or even walking for that matter.

Literally 30 seconds to put on once I got the moves down. Right leg in, right arm started, left arm started, shrug the suit on up, zip right leg down, zip main zipper down neck to ankle... done. Makes it easy to remove when at a store etc. I just put it in the cart and slip it back on when I'm done. I thought people might make fun of me in my suit but I seem to get more respect than anything else.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
purslant

I went to Bike Bandit and they say We're sorry, this product is no longer available.
Looks like a great suit ,and I'll keep looking...