Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
gstam4

Just bought first bike...'01 GZ250

Hi all, just bought a bike today and thought I'd join this site to help me learn about it. New to the bike, and new to motorcycles altogether - though I've been riding a 49cc scooter around the Florida State campus (I'm a grad student) for the last four months. I'll be taking the MSF course next week (which means I can't legally ride until then, since passing that course is required for the M endorsement here in FL).

Went with a red 2001 GZ250 w/ 23,xxx miles. Thought the miles were sort of high for a used bike, but I purchased from Orion Motorsports, which is well-reviewed online and whose staff really impressed me today. Came with a 30-day, 1,000-mile mechanical warranty. Looks like there's a small amount of rust on some of the pipes and spokes, and the left side of the gas tank has a dent; other than that, seems to be in good shape. Paid $950, which struck me as reasonable.

Mechanic went over the controls and features with me, and told me to use non-ethanol (any grade) and to keep up with lubricating the chain. Anyone have any other tips that can help me keep this thing in good shape? I'm not mechanically skilled at all, but would like to learn my way around the bike so that I can do the maintenance.

Look forward to posting on here more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (12.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg phphSEmTzPM.jpg (13.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg phpkPP25QPM.jpg (13.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg phpnGoMvoPM.jpg (11.5 KB, 19 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #2
Cathy

Ooh, pretty bike !

Welcome to the forum, everyone here is very knowledgeable so do not be afraid to ask the simplest of questions. I think you got a good deal for a starter bike , these bikes are simple and easy to work with.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:25 PM   #3
blaine

Welcome to the forum.The carb is the weak link.Run some SeaFoam thru your fuel once a month or so to keep things clean..

Old 01-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Yup, that is a GZ. You can stay. Seriously though, congrats on your 1st bike. The price and warranty sound good.
Stick around and ask any questions you have. There are no stupid questions. We have all been stumped by the simplest things and were afraid to ask.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:47 AM   #5
grasshopper

welcome to the forum. I just joined last December. this forum is full of great people and great articles! it is the best place to find any information on the gz250 on the internet. most questions you may have now or in the future may have already been asked but ask again if you haven't found the answer. like I said GREAT PEOPLE!

Old 01-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
gstam4

Thanks all!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
gstam4

Well, I might have a problem...or not. I haven't ridden the bike since I bought it last week, but started it today to give the engine a quick workout. I'll be able to ride after this weekend, when I complete the MSF course and get the endorsement.

There's a somewhat small puddle of fluid directly under the engine, and when I touched my hand to it, it looked like oil. Also, the engine was smoking a bit - I couldn't tell where the smoke was coming from, but it was about the equivalent of what you'd get when you blow out a candle (not much, but not nothing). The exhaust was putting out a good amount of smoke, too.

The dealer I bought it from told me it was in nice shape and needed nothing. I didn't notice any smoking or leaks when they had it running for me. Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

It could be a slight bit of moisture from the drain hole at the bottom of the exhaust pipe. The hole is there to drain moisture and prevent internal rust. White smoke is just white smoke. Once things really warm up it goes away.
If you suspect it to be oil then just check to see if the drain plug is snug.
A big thumbs up for being observant.
As a rule of thumb I would check the tires once a week and all the lights before my first ride of the day. Ride Safe.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Double endorse WW. Lay down beside the bike and see if there is a bit of seepage coming from where the two halves on the crank case meet.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #10
gstam4

Thanks, guys. Turns out the puddle under the engine smelled very strongly of gas, so the dealer is coming tomorrow to pick it up to look at/repair under the 30-day warranty.

Thought for a moment I might have made a bad purchase of a bike too far past its prime, but hopefully they can fix it up at the shop and there's nothing else wrong.