Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstam4 View Post
Thanks, guys. Turns out the puddle under the engine smelled very strongly of gas, so the dealer is coming tomorrow to pick it up to look at/repair under the 30-day warranty.

Thought for a moment I might have made a bad purchase of a bike too far past its prime, but hopefully they can fix it up at the shop and there's nothing else wrong.
The dealer is coming to pick up the bike!!!!! WOW, sounds like a place to trust until proven otherwise. I have rarely heard of a dealer picking up a bike. Of course it just might be that they are afraid of a law suit and/or they want a repeat customer. 2 thumbs up for the dealer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #12
gstam4

Yeah, I've been pretty impressed with them.

Here's a question: my fuel supply valve has been on Reserve since the bike was dropped off 9 days ago. I didn't put it there; it's how the mechanic who was showing me how to operate all the basic controls left it. I wasn't sure why he left it on Reserve; I assumed it was because the bike didn't have much gas in it, and I planned on going to a gas station as soon as I started riding it after this upcoming weekend. Could the problem be that the valve is set to Reserve?

Here's a really dumb question: we don't have an Off setting, right - only On (pointed left), Prime (pointed down), and Reserve (pointed right), correct?
Old 01-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #13
ImaginativeFig

Yeah there's no off on a GZ250, and my limited knowledge says that leaving it in reserve should be no problem. Prime's the one that I see multiple threads with people being like "OH SHoot, LEFT THE BIKE IN PRIME! WHAT DO I DOOOOO?!"

I hope the bike's alright! Yay for good guy dealer!

Old 01-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Leave it in the ON position. The Fuel switch is vacuum operated and shuts off automatically when the engine is turned off. When the bike runs out of gas in the ON position you switch to reserve and head for the gas pumps. Switch back to ON after filling up the tank.
The PRIME position is not vacuum operated and intended to prime the carb if it is dried out due to the bike sitting too long and not being ridden. Never leave it in prime after the bike starts up. Normally folks just switch to PRIME for 30 seconds and switch back to ON before starting the bike after a long time parked.
There are 2 hoses on the back of the switch. One goes to the carb to supply gas. The other is a vacuum line from the engine to the switch.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #15
Goose51683

Its great to see a dealer actually taking care of an issue instead of ignoring you.

Hopefully this turns out to be something quick and easy for you.