Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
mrlmd1

Re: How many miles till the engines dies

There are a number of members on the Honda PC800 forum with 200-300,000 on their bikes and one member on another forum I used to frequent with 2 Suzuki S50's with 75,000 on one when it got wrecked and 150,000 on the other which is still going strong. Mileage all depends on proper maintenance more than anything else.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Another thing to factor in is the cooling system. The GZ is air cooled and like most other air cooled engines it is built with wider tolerances between part. This allows for more expansion and contraction of parts when heated and cooled. Liquid cooled engine are built with closer tolerances and generally will last longer. Their temp is regulated by a thermostat just like a car engine. Not to worry though, the GZ will cool just fine as is.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
blaine

My G.Z had 46000 Km on it when I sold it.It still ran a strong as the day I bought it.It never had anything more than normal maintenance.As W.W stated a water cooled engine will last longer.My current 454 is water cooled and I expect to see 100 thousand Km before needing any major work.I know of several of these engines with over 100 thousand Km on them with no major problems.
:2tup:

Old 05-07-2012, 08:55 AM   #24
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I have a piece of crap China-bike, that is liquid cooled. And despite the best efforts of the previous owner (running the bike on the interstate without coolant and letting the oil get so low that it didn't even read on the dip stick) This thing is still running like a champ @ 16,000 under my tutelage. It's also a single cylinder, 250cc clone of the Honda Helix motor.

How it didn't explode into a fiery ball of cheap plastic I'll never know. But I fully intend for this hunk of junk to keep chugging at least into thr 25,000 range if I can help it. I want to see what it can do without ever splitting the case or even contemplating a rebuild. I have $1,000 invested in it. Why pour in the trouble and work until it is absolutely the only option left? Regular maintenance and a continuous check of fluid levels has kept her alive this long.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 PM   #25
bonehead

Mine has 25,800 on it and still runs like a champ, but I did and still do change oil every 2500-3000 miles.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
cburgess594

I think that depends on the capacity of the engine of your bike...
Old 05-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Butternutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburgess594
I think that depends on the capacity of the engine of your bike...

:??: what does that mean? :??:
Old 05-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #28
Water Warrior 2

I think it relates to engine oil capacity. That is also a good point though. The smaller the oil capacity the sooner the oil may break down due to shear forces of the gears. That said, is the GZ a strong enough bike to break down oil in a short time? Probably not unless you abuse it. I think Suzuki figured out the capacity a long time ago and it seems to work. Regular service is all any bike needs unless it is ridden really hard or in extreme conditions. I may change oil early if I anticipate a trip with either bike or cage but if it will be a bit overdue at the end of the trip I don't get excited about it. Modern oils will last far longer than most owner manuals lead us to believe.