Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #1
RedRover

Bump Starting?

Not having a kick starter on my 2010 GZ250 is a definite negative if you find yourself stranded with a dead battery. Back in "the day" I used to push start (bump start) my Yamaha 90 CC. Is push starting possible with these bikes? What gear would you attempt to start in?
Got a scare 2 days ago when starting was difficult and it got me to thinking of starting options. Buying a new battery today!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2012, 08:16 AM   #2
blaine

Re: Bump Starting?

Welcome to the family.You can "bump start" no problem.Second gear works well for bump starting.If ever boosting from another vehicle ,make sure the other vehicle is not running or you can fry your electronics.
:cool:

Old 05-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Funny that should come up today. Yesterday after a nice drive I was back at the usual coffee shop. A rider in costume had to bump start a mega dollar custom H-D. He was out of sight around the back of the building when it finally started. Wow, did it sound good at full throttle ridden by an embarrassed/angry pirate.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Rookie Rider

I had to jump start my bike for the first time yesterday. I stopped to say hello to someone for 10 minutes but didnt turn the key to off, just stopped the motor with the red switch. Went to start it and nothing, just some clicking. Connected the cables to the car and bike, and she says, tell me when to turn the car on. I said no no, leave it off !! She didnt think it would start but it did, first try. I learned to leave the car off when jump starting this bike on this great forum. Thanks again guy and gals.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
mrlmd1

RR- better check and charge up your battery. It shouldn't crap out after 10 min of sitting with the key on which just left the headlights/taillights on.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
Rookie Rider

I didnt ride the bike all week, and before i saw her it was a 15 minute ride, so maybe it didnt charge enough from the ride to. I will get a new battery over the winter. I have a year of riding and i really really love it man.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
mrlmd1

You don't need a new battery, just get a battery tender/maintainer/1.5 amp charger and hook it up to a plug left connected to the battery terminals that come with those things. You will have the same problem with a new battery and you need to have a charger anyway.
BTW, the amount of juice you use up to start the bike is more than will be replaced in a 15 min ride, and leaving your lights on for another 10 min killed your battery.
Get a charger.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #8
Rookie Rider

I do have the tender, didnt hook it up all week. :/
Old 05-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #9
clonak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
I stopped to say hello to someone for 10 minutes but didnt turn the key to off, just stopped the motor with the red switch.

Done that before. What they taught me in basic handling though was to just use the key. Always leave the switch on, its there for emergency.

Pain in the ass when someone borrows your bike and flipps the swtich though. Sat there kicking the RGV for 5 minutes wondering what the hell he had done to it, then I relised the switch was off...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:21 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

I always use the red switch on the bar to shut off the engine. Then turn the key off. There is a reason for my habit. Prior to the next ride I just need to turn on the key to check all the lights, signals, brake lights and horn without the ignition system being on. When I'm ready to ride I just need to turn on the red switch and start up the bike. That is my routine and I like it.