Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
mrlmd1

Helmet testing, helmet safety

Read this, it will take about 10 min. Come to your own conclusions about wearing one or not.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearb ... index.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
bonehead

Re: Helmet testing, helmet safety

Good article.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

That was a very good read and does generate food for thought. All of my last few helmets have been DOT approved but not Snell approved like the 1st two. My next hat will be DOT and I will be looking for comfort and noise control more than anything else. Hopefully the Multitech will still be around in a couple years because it is on my short list. A bike show is the best place to see helmets and try various brands on for fit and comfort. Also there nearly always seems to be a knowledgeable sales rep to talk to about the product.
This article points out that plastic hats deform slightly and absorb impact while doing so. Having read this before a few times makes me wonder about really solid headgear. Yup, still boils down to choices but at least we have them to make.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
BillInGA

I read this article when it was first published in 2005, when I was researching motorcycles. Knowing nothing about helmet standards going in I found it very enlightening.

I ended up buying a Z1R ZRP-1 full-face helmet (before I bought my bike).

The only thing about buying an inexpensive helmet is that, at least with the ZRP-1, you don't get as good a ventilation system or noise reduction. My helmet is pushing 5 years old and it's getting close to replacement time. When it is time to replace it, I'll be looking for a DOT certified helmet with some better ventilation and defogging capabilities.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 AM   #5
dhgeyer

Unfortunately, most of the readily available "High End" helmets with attractive features (good ventilation, easy visor removal/replacement, comfort, fit, etc.) are Snell Approved, because the perception is that they are the best. Harry Hurt was a critic of the Snell standard, and that's good enough for me. I just went from an HJC to an Arai, both Snell Helmets. The Arai is lighter, more comfortable, and just fits better. The faceshield is tougher, and optically clearer. And the ventilation is excellent. I would prefer the DOT standard foam if it were available in such a helmet. I know they're out there, conforming to the European standards, but you don't see them in the shops around here, and I'm not about to buy a helmet without wearing it around the store for a little while to make sure it fits properly. That eliminates Internet sources.

The only accident you can be sure of surviving unscathed is the one you don't have.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
That was a very good read and does generate food for thought. All of my last few helmets have been DOT approved but not Snell approved like the 1st two. My next hat will be DOT and I will be looking for comfort and noise control more than anything else. Hopefully the Multitech will still be around in a couple years because it is on my short list. A bike show is the best place to see helmets and try various brands on for fit and comfort. Also there nearly always seems to be a knowledgeable sales rep to talk to about the product.
This article points out that plastic hats deform slightly and absorb impact while doing so. Having read this before a few times makes me wonder about really solid headgear. Yup, still boils down to choices but at least we have them to make.
Gonna have to check, maybe the Multitech is Snell approved, don't want that.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:24 AM   #7
alantf

Pity you can't get "Airoh" brand helmets in America. I love 'em.